Infertility

About first RE visit?

I got the phone call today, telling me that my appt at my new (well first and only actually) RE! I am super excited, but the appt is this Thursday! I wasn't expecting it to happen so quickly, but I am super excited.

I was wondering if any of you ladies could help me by telling me what to expect on this first visit? Should I bring DH with me? 

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: About first RE visit?

• If possible, it is good for both of you to go.  She just asked me a lot of questions and made recommendations and indicated what tests we needed before we proceeded to the next step.  It was an office consult...no exam or bloodwork taken at that time.  Good luck!
  • At my first RE visit I never actually met with the RE. I went in and talked to the NP and had an u/s. I came in shortly there after and had cd 3 bw done, dh had a SA. Then I met with the RE and we set up a plan and scheduled an HSG.  After my HSG I had a genetic karyotype done.  Then I met with the RE again to review the results. I find it helpful to write things down and come in with questions- otherwise I tend to forget. Good luck Big Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • I dont know if its because we are not married but my boyfriend had to come to the first meeting. We went over my history, age,MC's, test's that have been done. Made appointments for more BW. He pretty much gave me a page with options - clomid+iui, injections+iui, ivf, ivf+icsi,explained each in detail with chances of success and pricing. Basically it seemed like the more I was willing to spend the faster it would happen. I did feel so much better after the R.E appt. My OB at the time has a great reputation but after talking to the RE about BW and options I felt much more in control of the situation and realized how little my OB actually did. Pricing and talk of multiples left my guy shaking with fear so I wish I could have left him at home. GL!

1-20-09 BFP third month of Follistim IUI 02-19-09 MC 06-24-09 MC July IUI Follistim Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone=BFN Aug. IUI Follistim Ganirelix ovidrel Crinone=BFP= scared sh**less 10-12-09 MC = 1 ectopic 1 perfect Dec. IUI Gonal-F Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone Lovenox 01-02-10 BFP=scared sh**less again 01-06-10 CP SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME : ) March 2010 - IVF in progress converted to IUI 03-30-10 BFN April 2010 - IVF - BFFN June 2010 - IVF - BFFN July IUI BFP! March 26 2011 Gracie is here! imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You both should go. The first visit for me was a bit overwhelming and it was nice to have a second set of ears. Also, you are only 50% of getting pregnant. The other 50% should be there too IMO.

My first visit they took 3 vials of blood and I had an intenal ultrasound. She scheduled my HSG for the next week. Good Luck!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• I think the only tests that we have not had done already are SA, and HSG. We already had all of the clotting tests done, all of the RPL testings done, and all of the genetics testings done.

I should be right around O time for this appt, I hope they do a u/s for me so I can see how many follies this clomid is making me produce, my OB doesn't do them for me!

• Some places are finicky and want to have the tests run at "their lab." Good thing you are switching to an RE. Clomid without monitoring is NOT a good idea (at least to me) as I had cysts after almost every cycle.
  • I'm sure this is stating the obvious, but does your RE have a website. ?Mine does and it explains everything about what to bring and what to expect and overall is a really helpful resource.
  • That happened to me too. I called like on a Thursday and they fit me in the next week. I was shocked, I thought it would take a month. I think your DH should go. I think our first appt took 3 hours. He went over both our medical backgrounds. He did an exam on me which maybe included a pap and breast exam. I think I also got blood work that first day. I don't think I got an u/s that day, but did the next time. It's only been a little over a year ago and I am forgetting stuff. He talked about his plans for us and his practice.

There was a ton of paperowork to fill out. I was glad DH went, they did ask him to come too.

I hope your appt goes well.

• Thank you so much! The only reason I asked about dh coming along is because he works out of town, and has a 2hr drive both to and from work everyday. So I don't know if he will be able to make it. Since the appt is so close, it is impossible to arrange things with his work, ugh.

Thank you again for the info! 

• Hey MrsMiller!

I know we don't live far from eachother--can I ask where you are going to see your new RE?  I went to the Strong Fertility Clinic in Rochester.

Anyways, my first (& only) visit was just a sit down chat.  Afterwards I had some bloodwork done in the lab.  DH came with me (mostly for moral support, but the RE may ask him some questions on his family's genetics).

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"