Working Moms
Options

pumping at work

hello ladies!

for those of you that breast fed or are doing it now, do you pump at work? if so, where and how many times a day do you need to do it? i am planning on breast feeding for at least 6 months and will need to find a place to pump during work hours. im a little nervous about it.

?thanks!?

Re: pumping at work

• Options
    I have an office door, so I just do it in there with the blinds closed.I will warn you that it took people about 3 months to learn that I would not answer the door when pumping ?but they finally got it ?I pump around 10 and around 2 ( nurse DS at day care at 8-ish when I drop him off). ?It is a major PITA but i keep telling myself its worth it. You legally (at least in GA) should have somewhere besides a bathroom stall to pump so talk to your employer and HR. ?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

With #2, I work from home.  However with #1, I worked for the first couple of months at a client location, then after that assignment ended, in the local office of my company.

At the client location, I pumped in my minivan. It was most private and I arrived early so that I could get a prime corner spot with minimal chance for anyone to see.  They did have a fridge, so I simply carried the milk back and stored it in the cooler container inside the fridge.

When I was in my local office, we have wellness rooms with a recliner and sink - so that's where I pumped.

As far as # of times pumping, it was simply whenever the baby would have eaten  - so with both my kids it was 3 times during the day.  Most of the time, the lunch feeding I would actually nurse and 2 pumping. On some occassions, if I couldn't get to pumping, I would pump while driving.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pump 2 - 3 times a day/4 days a week (working 9 hours a day).  I started back at work when DD was 4.5 months and she is almost 11.  I share a large office w/ 2 guys so I can't put there.  My employer has a lactation room with 6 mini-rooms and refrigerator.
  • Options

I currently pump twice at work (9:30am and 1:30pm).  My employer does not have a desinated room, so I just bounce from office to office that is open for the day.  Kind of a PITA since each office has a window I have to cover with paper.

Law in IL is that they must provide you with a room with a lock, but none of the offices in my workplace have locks, so I have to put up at sign.  We do have two refrigerators, so that is helpful in keeping the milk cold.

• Options

I usually pump 3x a day.  I have an office with a door, so it's not a big deal.  It doesn't lock, but I put up a "do not disturb" sign and everyone pretty much knows what's going on.  I also told a few of the woman who work near my office and they are helpful in telling people to come back later.  My secretary (who knows what I'm doing) is the one person who STILL knocks on my door.  It drives me crazy, although she hasn't done it in a while.

I know a few people who chose to pump in their car.  They use a hooter hider and a car adapter for the pump.  One person told me she prefers it because she can listen to music and relax.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I pump 3X a day in an empty office that HR gave me to use for pumping.  I could use my own office, but it makes me a little uncomfortable.  I am in a very busy environment and people are in and out of my office all day.  I'd rather just be "out" than behind a closed door.  I am planning on pumping until DS is 1 year.

I'd suggest calling HR and asking about where to pump.

Pumping is a PITA sometimes, but it's worth it.  Good luck!

• Options

Pumping is a PITA and it takes up a good amount of time, but it's definitely worth it.

I pump 2 or 3 times a day, just depending on my schedule.  I also have an office, and they put paper up over the window and installed a lock on my door.  I just close the door and watch TV on Hulu while I pump.  I do wish I had a mini-fridge because it's a bit awkward carrying my milk to the kitchen, but I keep the milk in a cooler in the fridge in there. 

• Options

I used to pump in an unused office/storage room on my floor but then someone moved in there permanently so I got bumped to the women's locker room downstairs. Expect that there will be the odd uncomfortable moment - epecially when going to/from the room with your parts to clean and the milk.  I have a rubbermaid container to carry in and a big gladware tub to wash in. I had a guy yesterday interrogate me about pumping & breastfeeding. It was odd but he was just curious and clueless. I try not to show any embarrassment over it.  The hardest part sometimes is just getting away from what you are doing, especially when you are working with people. Sometimes I just have to say, "I HAVE TO PUMP NOW" to get them to go away.

I pump 3x day, sometimes more if I work a 10 hr day. I had to get rent a hospital grade pump for work. It made life alot easier. I try not to think about the $$.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"