Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Babyproofing book shelves?

Does anyone know of some kind of book guard to put on the lower shelves of book cases?  Does this exist?  And if not, does anyone want to help me design one?

I refuse to empty our bookcases of books.  It's not safe and I don't have anywhere to put them.  If I must, I'll just continue redirecting her away from the books, but if there was something I could do to protect the books, that would be even better.

Re: Babyproofing book shelves?

• Options

Does your bookcase have pegs so that you can adjust the shelves? If so, I'm thinking you could have home depot cut a piece of plexiglass the size of each shelf opening and then buy extra pegs/clips and turn them sideways to hold the plexiglass up against the books? Not sure if that would work?

Our bookcases have a mixture of books and photos and knicknacks and ds LOVES them. I keep trying to redirect but I may end up moving stuff. Ours are built-in so they aren't a toppling risk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have tons of books in our built ins - honestly, I just let DS empty them and then I put them back. He got tired of it and hasn't touched them in 6 months or so. He never damaged them (just took some covers off, etc), but we have some valuable books that I just moved to a higher shelf.  We also put some of his books on the lowest shelf for him to use.

If you have free standing bookshelves you also definitely want to anchor to the wall - I had a dresser fall on me when I was little and tried to climb it. You don;t want to mess with things like that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDevonPow:

We have tons of books in our built ins - honestly, I just let DS empty them and then I put them back. He got tired of it and hasn't touched them in 6 months or so. He never damaged them (just took some covers off, etc), but we have some valuable books that I just moved to a higher shelf.  We also put some of his books on the lowest shelf for him to use.

If you have free standing bookshelves you also definitely want to anchor to the wall - I had a dresser fall on me when I was little and tried to climb it. You don;t want to mess with things like that.

If she were just pulling out the books, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but she tears out pages.  She's not climbing yet, so we'll deal with that when it comes.  Putting her books on the lower shelves is a good idea, but it still leaves me with where to put the displaced books. 
  • Options
    imageMrs Manners:

Does your bookcase have pegs so that you can adjust the shelves? If so, I'm thinking you could have home depot cut a piece of plexiglass the size of each shelf opening and then buy extra pegs/clips and turn them sideways to hold the plexiglass up against the books? Not sure if that would work?

Our bookcases have a mixture of books and photos and knicknacks and ds LOVES them. I keep trying to redirect but I may end up moving stuff. Ours are built-in so they aren't a toppling risk.

Interesting.  I wonder if that would work.
  • Options
    just an idea but how about pulling out the bookcase and wrapping the lower shelf with heavy duty saran wrap or some other type of strong plastic (maybe from the craft store) all the way around???  my friend did this and it looked a little funny but worked like a charm.  just make sure you get a lot of layers around so it won't come off easily.
  • Options

Let me know if you find something!

We have 2 bookshelves in our living room with DVDs. Everyday he pulls all the DVDs off the bottom 2 shelves. It's tiring to put them back up--especially since DH has them in alphabetical order!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"