Parenting after a Loss
Options

Made Babyfood

Yesterday I made my first couple batches of babyfood and it went really well. 

I made squash, apples, and carrots. 

Ben loved the squash and Kate hated it, she looked at us like we were trying to poison her.  She loved the carrots though.  I don't know if I will do apples again because they are hard work and didn't yield much for 5 apples (only 3 containers which is really only 1 day here). 

Anyone have good suggestions for fruits/veggies that go the distance when it comes to volume verse price for baby food? 

Re: Made Babyfood

• Options

way to go!  I haven't really gotten totally immersed in it yet.

I was thinking for PEAS - I might find some frozen organic (no salt added) peas. 

squash, pumpkin

I think I might bake peaches and pears

• Options

Woo hoo!

So far I've only done avocados though tonight I am going to give peas a try - I got some fresh organic peas last night at Whole Foods so I am interested to see how those turn out.

I think squash will probably give you the most food for the cost.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Just a warning about carrots--I have always heard that the carrots that you find in your grocery store (fresh and frozen) tend to be very high in nitrates, which are dangerous for babies, so you should get carrot baby food from the baby food companies.  They control their sources, so they know the amount of nitrates.  It has something to do with the fertilizers used by the growers. 

I always had luck with prunes and brocolli and peas.  And of course bananas, but you don't really have to prepare them--just mash them up.

• Options
    I just wanted to ditto the pp about carrots.  Our pedi said not to make our own carrots.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"