Parenting after a Loss
Options

Need Avacado Help

I bought 2 avacados yesterday at Whole Foods for the babies and I have no idea what to do with them.  Dh and I don't avacados so I am not sure how to feed it to them.  Do I just mash it up?  Do I add anything to make it smoother or easier to eat?  How much of an avacado should they eat?  Can I freeze it? 

Sorry for so many questions but I am avacado clueless.

Re: Need Avacado Help

• Options
    I just cut off a slice and remove the skin -- the skin comes off much easier if you roll the avocado around on the counter first. Then I mash it up with some formula (or BM). I don't think it freezes very well. I had an easier time mashing it in a very small bowl with high sides with a spoon. The first time I tried it, it was way too chunky. GL! Avery wasn't a big fan the first time but now she loves avocado!!
  • Options

Here is what I have been doing...

First roll the avocado around on the counter top - that softens it and seperates the meat from the skin.  Next cut it in half around the pit (its pretty big so you aren't going to be able to cut through it) and scoop out the insides with a spoon.  I put mine in a big bowl and use a hand held blender to puree it but you could just use a spoon or fork, I just think I get a nicer smoother consistency with the blender. 

How you serve it depends on your LOs.  For Michael, I always add some formula and mix them together (takes a minute or two) to make the avocado a little more runny.  He eats about a tablespoon of avocado twice a day right now.

I freeze my avocado plain (don't thin it with formula or anything) in an ice cube tray. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Avocados are mash & feed. Nothing else is necessary. Take a knife and put it into the avocado. Slice around the seed and then twist. One side will have the pit, the other will not.?
    ?
    You will only need 1 avocado for them. Give them 1/2 of one each if they'll eat that much.
    ?
    Hit the knife into the pit so that it sticks in & twist. This will dislodge the pit. Take a spoon and put it in between the skin & flesh and scoop out. It sounds like more work than it is. Once you get it, it's very easy.
    HTH ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"