Breastfeeding
Options

I just got 5oz from one breast, is that normal?

I just pumped while DH gave a bottle, and I got 5oz, which is what I got the other day from one breast in the morning (fed one side and pumped 5oz from the other). I didn't think I should get so much in the evening. Is this a bad thing, or do I just have a lot? If DS has been "emptying" the breast (it gets soft and he lets go to move on to breast #2), does that mean he's eating 5+ oz each time? That seems like a lot for a 4-weeker. Any insight?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: I just got 5oz from one breast, is that normal?

• Options

Also, we just started the bottle thing tonight - first time - and I don't know how much I should get or how much should go in the bottle. We tried 2-3 oz in the bottle with me prepared to offer the other breast when he finished the bottle. I'm not sure about this whole bottle thing; especially since DS didn't seem to like it.

He left about an ounce or more in the bottle and seemed to spit a lot of it back out because the nipple was too fast (slow flow, but dripping). We transferred it to a slower slow-flow nipple and he did better, but still sounded like he was choking/gagging on the flow. 

• Options

I think 5oz out of one breast is awesome! You can start a freezer stash and have enough for when you're out/go back to work. You're lucky to have that much bm, so use it :))

When I give the bottle to my DS (slow flow), I usually take it out every 20-30 seconds to give him a breather. He doesn't seem to choke or spit up at longer, after I started doing that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

5oz is great! I'm jealous because my DS is nearly 1 y/o and I only get 5oz pumping from both sides.

Can I ask though, why you are introducing the bottle so early? To establish good latching and all that you really should wait to introduce the bottle until 6 weeks or so.?

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options
    imageMominator:

Can I ask though, why you are introducing the bottle so early? To establish good latching and all that you really should wait to introduce the bottle until 6 weeks or so. 

You can safely introduce a bottle at 4 weeks if breastfeeding is going fine.

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesusiederkins:
    imageMominator:

Can I ask though, why you are introducing the bottle so early? To establish good latching and all that you really should wait to introduce the bottle until 6 weeks or so. 

You can safely introduce a bottle at 4 weeks if breastfeeding is going fine.

We introduced the bottle at 4w 3d, and we never had a problem.  I've gotten 5 oz from a breast when (a) I've gotten some rest overnight and (b) I missed a feeding.  I wish I could get that much all the time.

• Options

It's not nice to brag! Crying

Just kidding, I think that's great if you get that much.  If your DS seems satisfied, then whatever extra you get just use to start your feezer stash.  And no, what they get from the breast is completely different than the amount you get when you pump.

• Options
    imagemrswalker22:

It's not nice to brag! Crying

Yeah, sorry...definitely wasn't trying to brag...hehe. I just wasn't thinking I should get that much so late in the day and was worried that I've got too much milk or something....or that I should be putting more in the bottle if DS was actually drinking that much.

Still have to figure out how to get him to take the bottle well, but we've only tried once, so we'll keep working on it.

• Options
    I had word for word the same issue as you.  I am glad now because I have a huge freezer stash and I never have to worry about DS getting enough.  Really, it is a nice "problem" to have.
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"