Breastfeeding
Options

Working moms who pump-Duration ?

I'm going back to work on Wednesday. I plan to pump while at work and am lucky enough to have my own office to use to pump, so I can pump whenever I need to, as often as I need to. So my question is for working moms, how long do you pump? I typically only pump 10 minutes, but that can get me anywhere from 1.5oz to 4oz/side depending on how long it's been since I last fed my DD.

She is currently taking about 5-6oz anytime we give her a bottle. Anything less and she gets pissy. She is feeding about every 2-3 hours and I don't have her on a schedule, just try to read her cues and keep an eye on how long it's been.

Should I be pumping just long enough to get 6oz or is it better to pump for a particular duration? I have a freezer stash to dip into if she goes through a growth spurt and I can't keep up or my supply dips for some reason.

Re: Working moms who pump-Duration ?

• Options
    I pump until until both breast are empty.  My first pump of the day will take about 20 minutes.  My mid-day (and late afternoon when needed) usually take about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    i only pump for 10 minutes because thats all the time i have but I should pump longer.  If you can pump longer, pump longer.  they generally say to pump until nothing else comes out or else your body will adjust
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pump 3 xs a day for about 15 - 20 mins each time.  I try to pump about the time DS is eating anyhow and I TRY to replenish what he eats.  But... that hasn't been working so we've been supplementing a bit w/ formula.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I pump anywhere from 10-15 minutes, which about how long it takes to empty both sides.  I wouldn't recommend putting a time limit on it unless you have to.  Just play it by ear, see how long it takes for your let-down, and to empty both sides, and whatever extra you get above what your DC needs just start your freezer stash! :)
  • Options

I have been pumping at work for a bit over a month now.  You will get faster, and each session will get you more as time goes by.Smile

My first pump (around 9am) I get around 4oz from each breast (sometimes more).  Second pump, I usually get 2-3oz, and same with my third and final pump of the day.  When I started pumping, it often took 20 minutes to get 2 oz. per breast.  Now it's less than 10 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"