Breastfeeding
Options

Good BFing book??

Did you read any books on BFing that you think really helped you?? I may be making more out of the whole process than I need to be, but I feel like I know NOTHING about BFing, and every one of my friends that tried to BF got overwhelmed and ended up giving up after 6-8 weeks. I don't want that to happen to me, so I want to prepare myself for whatever challenges I may be faced w/ so that I won't be as overwhelmed as they were and I'll know the best way to handle it w/o giving up.

I read all of these posts about BFing and wonder if these things are just trial and error, things you learn by doing, or if I'm just totally stupid when it comes to general BFing knowledge. Hopefully a good book will help me fill in the blanks. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Good BFing book??

• Options

There may be some good book suggestions from other ladies, I didn't use a book.

I took a bfing class, but still felt lost when it actually came time to do it. I went to a lactation consultant once and I frequented the message boards for help and support. kellymom.com is a great source for a lot of concerns that come up. If you are determined to do it, you will make it through.

I breastfed and pumped for the first year and only recently stopped bf'ing DD at night. After you make it through the first month or two, it really becomes MUCH easier.

Good luck to you!

• Options

I've been reading "So That's What They're For!" by Janet Tamaro.  I'm not sure how much it will help me since I'm pregnant too, but I feel more educated about it. 

The only thing I don't like about the book is how annoying she is about hating formula SO much.  I want to breastfeed and not formula feed, but she's just annoying about stating her opinion.  Other than that, the book is very useful.  :)

• DD1: August 2009
    • DD2: December 2010
    • DS: August 2012
    • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
    • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
    • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
    Musings of a Farmer's Wife
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would also recommend taking a class.  I read "So That's What They're For" and also "The Nursing Mother's Companion".  Both are very informative and helpful.
  • Options

So That's What They're For and Motherly Art of Breastfeeding were both good (but if you are going back to work, know that the M.A.O.B is slanted toward not working, IMO.)

Reading the book helped.  What helped more is a video I saw at my childbirth class that showed a good latch. (I can't remember the name!  But I've heard that they are good clips on youtube as well).  What helped the MOST was support afterward:  nurses, lactation consultants kellymom.com and LLL meeting/website.

Just get the overview in your head, but don't stress. Then, USE resources you have available when (IF!) you need them.  Honestly, the reason I got through the harder part in the beginning was that I'm very stubborn and don't give up easily.

• Options

I read The Nursing Mother's Companion and liked it.  I also took a breastfeeding class at my hospital.

It does seem like most new moms do face challenges with BF, so it's important to have support as pp mention.

Also, I've noticed that many moms seem to give up on BF around the times of common growth spurts.  It's good to know that growth spurts can be stressful, but they do pass!  Lots of babies have a growth spurt every three weeks, but major ones happen around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months.  At those times it can seem like your LO is nursing non-stop (during those early growth spurts it can be every hour or hour and a half)!  Just try to nurse through it and not supplement at those times, b/c your LO is probably getting enough and is increasing your milk supply by nursing so frequently for a few days.  I've heard people on this board say "Don't quit on a bad day," and I think that's great advice that has helped me through some tough days.  I am so glad I have stuck with BF this far.

GL!

• Options

Thanks for the great tips, ladies. I will check out the books that were mentioned, and I definitely plan to take a BFing class. I'll talk to my Ob about what classes she knows of that are available at the hospitals in our area.

TY!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"