Preemies
Options

When did you stop swaddling?

My DS is 4 1/2 months actual 3 months adjusted and I still swaddle him. I want to wean him off the swaddle because I think he is getting too old and I want him to be able to self soothe but his hands are swaddled. He still startles and I think that wakes him up when he is first falling asleep. Do you think I should start to wean him and how do I do it?

Re: When did you stop swaddling?

• Options
    We still swaddle DD.  She sleeps so much better swaddled, especially now that she's teething and keeps putting her hands in her mouth which wakes her up.
  • Options

We swaddled them until they showed us they didn't want to be swaddled anymore. For my son it was between 5-6 mos adjusted age. He would break out of it right away and roll over or he would wake himself up trying to break out of it.

For my daughter we just took it away two weeks ago.

It has been painless in breaking them of the habit since they were the ones who decided they didn't need it anymore.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    still swaddling him at 9 3/4 months old.?
  • Options
    imagegymrat:

We swaddled them until they showed us they didn't want to be swaddled anymore. For my son it was between 5-6 mos adjusted age. He would break out of it right away and roll over or he would wake himself up trying to break out of it.

For my daughter we just took it away two weeks ago.

It has been painless in breaking them of the habit since they were the ones who decided they didn't need it anymore.

Thanks for this advice! I was thinking of de-swaddling this week, but I know that she loves it. Now I'm going to wait until she is showing these signs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You're welcome!
  • Options
    M was about 4 months old when we stopped. For a few weeks prior, he went to bed a "burrito" and woke up a "taquito" and the blanket was wrapped around his waste. We put him to bed and he was fine after that. He hasn't missed the swaddle at all. I would have continued it, but he didn't seem interested anymore.
  • Options
    We still swaddle, and she's nearly 11 months. We keep her arms out. It keeps her warm, and also snuggles her in better. But I know they don't swaddle her at daycare, and she does fine then, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"