Austin Babies
Options

Help ease my mind, please!

Ok, I know I am just being paranoid, but after some bad news about a friend this week my mind has gone into overdrive and I keep imagining the worst of every situation.

This baby has always been a BIG time mover.  As in people can often see him move from across the room.  His movements are often painful even.  Abby was never like that, but I have gotten used to it.  He usually does most of his moving late at night, especially when I am about to go to sleep.  Well last night as I was turning in I noticed that I did not notice him moving around like normal.  So I drank some juice and laid on my side.  I did feel 10 movements fairly quickly, within about 30 minutes. The thing is they just were not his typically movements.  As I said usually you can really see and I can really feel (as in ouch) his movements.  These were much less pronounced.  He is moving around again this morning, but again not his usual hard movements.

I know I have been on the other end many times reassuring people that there are some days when the baby is just less active and as long as you feel 10 movements in 2 hours everything is fine. But now I need some reassurnace, PLEASE!  Does/did your baby go through more quiet days?  Do you think he maybe just moved tp a position that I do not feel his movements as pronounced?  Would you call your nurse?  

Thanks!

Re: Help ease my mind, please!

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I definitely have days where she moves more than others and days when I have to stop and think about how long it's been since I felt her move (but that's usually when I've been busy and preoccupied). I have a big time mover as well, but the further along I've gotten and the more cramped she's become, the less pronounced the movements seem.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

ruby was a big time mover and hurt me sometimes too. there were a few days where i felt like she was barely moving and i became nervous. the OB hooked me up to a monitor in the office and then had me do an ultrasound b/c she was wiggling very little. i felt so much better after the monitoring and ultrasound.

youre probably ok, but im going to tell you to call the nurse in the OB's office. th nesties can all say on here that the baby is fine, but as his mommy, im sure you wont feel good until you have some hard evidence. at least that's the way i was.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Towards the end of my pregnancy with DS I remember there would be times where he wouldn't move in his "normal" manner.  It might be that there is a lack of space in there since you are getting closer to the end.... If you really feel worried, call the nurse, see what they say.  It never hurts and they will definitly put your mind at ease.  Good luck and I hope the movements go back to normal (well, maybe without the pain;)
  • Options
    I have definitely noticed a change in DD's movement the farther along I get. It's not a pronounced now and I'm assuming that's because there isn't as much room to move around. As long as you're feeling the 10 movements within an hour, I'm sure you're fine.

Calling a nurse might give you more reassurance though.
  • Options

I wouldn't worry too much since you are feeling movement, but call the nurse if you are this concerned about it.  They may let you come in and check things out and then you'll just feel better all around, even if its nothing.  No sense in continuing to worry about it if a phone call will make the difference.

And yes, I think everyone goes through this.  I'm much earlier in my pg than you so I know the movement isn't as noticeable, but I was laying in bed last night and realized that I hadn't really felt the baby move in a long while.  I was laying there imagining the worst.  Still didn't really notice anything when I woke up and was getting worried again.  Then the little sucker has been poking the heck out me all morning. 

• Options
    If it were me, I'd go ahead and call the nurse.  They can at least check to make sure everything is ok and it will give you an ease of mind.  I think it is normal (DS goes through his spurts of energy) but as a mother, you know when something is off and I think it's wise to follow your gut feeling.  Even if everything turns out ok (which it more than likely will), you will be able to at least set the worry aside.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Two nights ago, I was noticing the same thing about B.  So I "massaged" the area where he is.  Over and over.  And he'd give me a lazy knee up or something.  Which wasn't going to cut it for me, so I'd shake him or poke at him.  Nothing.  I wasn't going to freak out because my ob isn't even in town and I just figured maybe he was napping.  He had gone from a night mover to a day mover and maybe I just missed his moving since I'd been doing a bit of organizing.

The next morning, I was greeted by legs kicking, head swishing around, little fists punching, butt rolling over.  All that "massaging" I'd done of him, he must have gotten a little irked because now he was giving me some whatfor.  :)

I do think as they get bigger, they run out of room and give less "active" movements.  I wouldn't worry b/c where will that get you, but call your nurse and I'm sure she'll let you come in for a doppler check or she'll just tell you to do exactly what you did.  

I hope he's moving more soon!

• Options

Thank you so much ladies!  It does make me feel so much better.

I think he just needed me to say something to someone.  Wink  Not too long after I posted this he started moving all around.  First he got the hiccups and then about 5 minutes ago I can tell he was getting frustrated with them and started beating on me. Stick out tongue  I was just about to call the nurse as well. 

Joyco- I was doing the same thing last night glad to know I am not the only one. Poor guy I was really shaking him up last night.

• Options

Really, when it comes to OB - anything that distresses you isn't a bad reason to call the nurse. They have a lot of experience and are able to reassure you or let you know when to worry. 

To quote a doctor online "After about 32-34 weeks, when there's less room for the baby, the movements are often squirming-like movements, which happen just as often, but this change in the quality of the movement will give a woman worries." I noticed at around this time is when DD's movements changed from the pokes and jabs into squirms - which unfortunately gave me a feeling of sea sickness thank-you-very-much.  I couldn't stand still, I'd have to rock from side to side to let my brain know it was OK something was moving. blech.

Developmentally, the baby is also regulating into more patterned sleep and awake cycles.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm with the others- it sounds pretty normal. ?I definitely had those times with Anderson- he was always a very busy baby and when he'd have quieter days it would really get me worried. ?I think it's never a bad idea to call in if you have any concerns at all, that's what your doctor is there for and it's always better to be safe than sorry....but that said, I really think it sounds normal!
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I read in one of my books last night (I think Your PG Week by Week) that the movements would feel different now because there is just less room for the big kicks, punches and wiggles.  It said that now it would be smaller movements that feel more like adjustments and I have started noticing that a little now.  I would say your baby has just run out of room to be as active as he used to be, so it's nothing to worry about, but I know that is much easier said than done.  Hope you feel a little better now!!
  • Options

I had that w/ both pregnancies and I noticed w/ #2 that I almost never felt her move during the day since I was so busy chasing #1 around and almost always freaked out. My doctor would just say drink a glass of juice and lay down for 2 hours--each time she would start moving.

I ran out of room pretty quickly and thought of it like fish to a whale. Fish move around so quickly it is easy to spot a whale is very slow to move and requires more focus to "see"

• Options
    dd definitely got that like later in pg. it was like she was on a 48 hour schedule, up and kicking for 24, then alseep for 24. one day at work i even laid on the floor of my office because i hadn't felt her in a while. But if you're slightly worried, call the nurse, it doesn't hurt anything to call and come in just to check.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"