3rd Trimester
Options

Help! Used benzoyl peroxide in 2nd trimester. Is it unsafe???

I just read in a magazine that benzoyl peroxide is considered "unsafe" during pregnancy.  I used it for a few weeks in an otc acne cleanser.  Anyone else use this during their pregnancy and had healthy babies?  Please tell me yes!! 

Re: Help! Used benzoyl peroxide in 2nd trimester. Is it unsafe???

• Options
    I think that if you havent had any problems yet with your LO then i think you are good to go
    image   image
  • Options
    yikes, I hope not.  I have been using acne face wash with benzoyl peroxide in it my entire pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    you'll be fine. It is topical and not very much gets abosorbed into the blood stream. If your really worried about it, talk see what your md has to say about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been using it throughout my entire pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's fine

• Options
    I have been using it since I was 10 weeks pregnant, with the blessing of my OB. You should be just fine.
  • Options
    You're fine. It's not like you're ingesting it :)
  • Options
    you should be fine. ?i had pretty bad break outs in my first and second trimesters. ?Salycic Acid is BAD though and a lot of face washes have it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Unless you ate it,  injected it into your bloodstream or squirted it into your vaj, I think you're OK to use most topical acne treatments during your pregnancy.

• Options
    imagejamiejefferis:
    you should be fine. ?i had pretty bad break outs in my first and second trimesters. ?Salycic Acid is BAD though and a lot of face washes have it.
    My doc okayed me to use salicylic acid along with benzoyl peroxide, for whatever it's worth.?
  • Options
    I used to be a pharmacy tech., and my understanding from the pharmacists was that the reason a lot of the topical acne treatments are considered unsafe is because there haven't been any studies done on them (like who's going to say, "Okay!  Give me all the salicylic acid you have and let's see if it hurts my baby!!!"  BUT...my OB told me (when I was afraid to use Polysporin because I had read it was unsafe) that anything that is topical is not that much of a concern.  If you are using it topically, you are not absorbing that much into your system.  I think it's probably fine.
  • Options
    I've been using it my whole pregnancy as well, at the direction of a dermatologist.  Besides that, there's no point in worrying about it now, you've already used it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"