Baby Showers
Options

Go ahead flame me...

Ok so this is my second child however my husbands first...I wasn't expecting a shower since this is my second, but it seems to be that we are going to be having one because his family is insisting...does this seem wrong to anyone else? I'm greatful but at the same time..I have only seen it fit to throw one for your first pregnancy...any thoughts..

Re: Go ahead flame me...

• Options
    I think because it is your husband's first child, it would be fine, but I would insist it be a couple's shower. That way they are truly showering your husband as much as you, making the "second child" issue a bit more moot.
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagerebus82:
    I think because it is your husband's first child, it would be fine, but I would insist it be a couple's shower. That way they are truly showering your husband as much as you, making the "second child" issue a bit more moot.

Ditto. And frankly, I'm not opposed to second showers. I like to look at showers as welcome parties for babies. Every child deserves to be celebrated and anticipated by all the people who love it already. Enjoy your shower and be happy that your DH's family is so excited!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think this is fine, my cousin is having her second, his first and his family threw a shower.  Maybe suggest that your family be invited, but let them know they don't have to get you gifts or anything.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options

If people want to host it for you then I think it is fine. I work at a school and one of the teacher's is having her second baby and we decided to throw her a shower. I believe her friends out of work threw her a shower also.

• Options
    Most people I know had a 2nd and 3rd shower.  Only difference is their registries are usually much shorter.
  • Options

I don't see anything wrong with second child showers.  I agree with the other poster who said she believed every child deserves to be welcomed into the world.  And if you still have previous baby things, the LEAST people could do is get you things you will still need like diapers, wipes, etc. 

Have fun at your shower.  

• Options

I agree with the other poster who said she believed every child deserves to be welcomed into the world

I agree w/ this too, but this can be achieved by having a "meet the baby" party AFTER the baby is here.  A SHOWER (which is absoltuely a gift giving event) is not necessary to "celebrate" the baby, who isn't even here yet.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I agree with EastCoastBride, although in your case it is your DH's first baby so things are a little different.  I would either make it a couples shower...but if not your DH needs to be there.
  • Options

You certainly wont get any flames from me. (read my post below)

But really, some people on this board are obsessed with drilling into people that second showers are a thing of evil...

Baffles me.

• Options
    I this case I think it is fine, but a shower is not for the baby!!!! It is for the first time parents to get the basics they need for parenthood.  That is the point, it isn't to shower the baby.... so a shower for each baby is tacky, but getting gifts for those babies after they are born is perfectly fine!
  • Options
    imagebrightning:

imagerebus82:

Ditto. And frankly, I'm not opposed to second showers. I like to look at showers as welcome parties for babies. Every child deserves to be celebrated and anticipated by all the people who love it already. Enjoy your shower and be happy that your DH's family is so excited!

Ditto to both of these comments.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    More and more now I see people having two showers. So its ok to me. Have fun. Congrats!
  • Options
    If someone offers to throw you a shower, take them up on it! I don't see anything wrong with celebrating second, third, whatever number they are. But if you already have stuff leftover from your first child, either don't create a registry or make a very small one if that makes you feel better.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • Options
    I would graciously accept their shower...it is wonderful they are so excited to share in the joy with you!  I would just bypass the registry, since you weren't planning on having a shower anyways.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagekbud9:

You certainly wont get any flames from me. (read my post below)

But really, some people on this board are obsessed with drilling into people that second showers are a thing of evil...

Baffles me.

Well said....I see so many people here get whipped up into a frenzy about 2nd showers. Everyone I know has had a second shower for their second child, so I have never seen the big deal about it. Also, I am a very firm believer in the "Do what YOU want to do, and not what people think is rightn or wrong" school of mentality. Have your second shower and enjoy every single second of it. Hope you get some kick a** gifts. Best of luck to you :o)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think you should have the shower. Its about welcoming the baby. Expecially because its your husbands first its more of a reason. I think if someone wants to throw you a shower then go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"