Stay at Home Moms
Options

Does anyone homeschool?

DH and I have been discussing it on and off pretty much ever since I got pg. The plan was for me to SAH until our kids are in school full-time, and then re-evaluate. But more and more I am feeling called to homeschool. DH is on board, but we both just need more information on the basics, getting started, what to expect, things like that to give us a realistic view if this is something we can commit to or not. Since I plan to SAH anyway, we have a few years to make a decision, but I'm a planner, so if this is something we want to do, I want to start learning all I can ASAP.

If you homeschool, can you tell me your experience with getting started? Any good books/resources I should look at? Thanks!

Re: Does anyone homeschool?

• Options

You will definately want to do a lot of reading. There are dozens of different "styles" for homeschooling. I really enjoyed this philosphy https://www.welltrainedmind.com/

The book really lays it all out, and gives you plenty of resources.

Most public libraries should have books for you to check out and look over.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know there are a lot of homeschool clubs around. My small town has it's own actually and they have a website. I would start looking/asking around your town/city and seeing what you can find. That is probably the best place to start in my opinion. We are also thinking about homeschooling.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are planning on it, for the first few years anyways.  And I'm a public school teacher (pre SAHM)-tells ya something!!  Ditto pp on reading a lot, and looking for local groups.  Socialization is important, but you can still do it, and be aware of what kind of social experience your kids are exposed to.  Also, there's lots of online information.  There's many different kinds or "versions" of homeschool so just start your research now, while you have time to think and investigate.  GL!!
  • Options
    We will be homeschooling. I was homeschooled and feel that my education was above par. I can't imagine sending the girls away all day long every day. Can't wait to get things moving and start teaching!
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"