Houston Babies
Options

Daycares in West U/Bellaire area

I love my son's school, but it is very hard to deal with the politics there. I am thinking of switching him in June when he graduates to the next class. I need a place that has more working moms and caters a bit more to that. It is difficult to deal with all the closures and all the "voluntary" participation that the school requires us to do for all the events and fundraisers. I know given the area of town I am in that most moms probably don't work and have all the time in the world to do all those events....but I am not one of them. So, I think I need a new school.

I am thinking about the Post Oak School. Anyone have any reviews?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Daycares in West U/Bellaire area

• Options

After the issues with the crazy former teacher blew over, I really started liking KSA again.  It is more Montrose than West U.  The teacher in the toddler room is awesome - I wish I could have hired her to be my nanny.

They have some regular closings - but mostly the same ones businesses have, but the oddest are 2 weeks at Christmas and half a week for Spring Break.

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options
    I couldn't get to Montrose every morning. It is hard enough getting to work on time as is....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a tough time finding anything in this area other than Joe's school...PO School may your best bet.

When does your swing set come??  Be prepared to avoid the backyard at all costs unless you want to stay outside for a while.  We used to use the backdoor all the time, now I only go out when I am carrying A.  She stands at the door (glass) and yells "I SEE IT!" all the time and she can only see one leg of it from the door.

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options

It is being in stalled on Monday.

• Options
    what about a place closer to your work..  I know that the "Big Little School" gets rave reviews..  However, it's hard to get in...
  • Options
    I want the school to be close to home so he has friends near the house.
  • Options

I hear nothing but great things about Post Oak. Our next door neighbor works there and loves it. It is really close to my house too! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PAGASPAGAS member

The kids that used to live in our house all went to The Post Oak School and our neighbors rec'd it.

I would post this on BYM.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options

there is a daycare in west u called "pooh's corner." i know it sounds cheesy but it's supposed to be one of the best in the city. several of ray's partners who live in west u sent their kids there and the kids all went on to stjohns/kinkaid/awty etc... apparently, it's kind of hard to track down but i can see if i can get your more info.

also, Becker is excellent. it's a jewish school but there are a lot of kids from the heights that i know go there and they are not jewish in many cases. it's just supposed to be a really excellent school.

• Options
    imagerayskit10:

there is a daycare in west u called "pooh's corner." i know it sounds cheesy but it's supposed to be one of the best in the city. several of ray's partners who live in west u sent their kids there and the kids all went on to stjohns/kinkaid/awty etc... apparently, it's kind of hard to track down but i can see if i can get your more info.

also, Becker is excellent. it's a jewish school but there are a lot of kids from the heights that i know go there and they are not jewish in many cases. it's just supposed to be a really excellent school.

I don't agree with alot of the policies of Pooh's Corner....and you have to put your kid's name on the waitlist ON THEIR BIRTHDAY.....as in, the day they're born.

• Options
    imageMrsMGR:
    imagerayskit10:

I don't agree with alot of the policies of Pooh's Corner....and you have to put your kid's name on the waitlist ON THEIR BIRTHDAY.....as in, the day they're born.

ha! well, that's not surprising (esp considering the families i know whose kids went there). scratch that, but look in to Becker!

• Options
    imagerayskit10:
    imageMrsMGR:
    imagerayskit10:

ha! well, that's not surprising (esp considering the families i know whose kids went there). scratch that, but look in to Becker!

Oh and also....they don't have the phone number listed anywhere....and the address is private.....so there is no way of knowing where the school is located or anything. It is super exclusive. I got the number and never called because, quite frankly, I don't want my son around people who think that uppity.

• Options
    yeah, that's what i meant when i said "hard to track down." Hmm
  • Options
    PAGASPAGAS member

FWIW, F will probably go to Post Oak when she starts school of some sort.

Bring this up at Bunco too, I think there are a couple of Becker moms.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options
    Pooh Corner is ridiculous. My sister takes care of a kid who attends the school, and the rules list and expectations are so stupid. I know for 4 year olds they do not do full day, nor do they feed your kid unless they are in "lunch bunch" which is extra money.
  • Options

Edit: I hear good things about Post Oak School.

Can you make it to Creme downtown? Most of the parents are professionals and they cater to that reality.

When we looked around last year, we noticed that schools with religious affiliations in general followed holiday schedules that did not mirror our work holiday schedules as closely. So, if you're looking to find something that mirrors your work schedule best, ask about holidays. There can be big differences in the number of days off between different schools.

Good luck. Finding a daycare was tough work for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"