Pregnant after 35
Options

Need more crib ideas please ...

Hi ladies, I also posted in the "Nursery Decor", but since you all are my ladies, I would also love your opinions!

Ok I'm going crazy crib shopping and everytime I see something to look out for, something else comes up!

Questions: 

1 - Do you have or are going to buy a convertible crib or not and why?

2 - Will you choose a drop side or not and why ?

Thank you all for your comments! 

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need more crib ideas please ...

• Options

Hi there!

We will get a convertible. It just seems to make practical sense to me.

I will not get a drop side because I keep reading that they aren't safe.

I feel pretty lost on all of this. I have one picked out but will most likely change my mind before all is said and done. Smile

• Options
    I am actually going to be using the crib that we all used as infants.....the slats are close together....no large spaces inbetween (which was kind of a surprise), it's not painted so no worries about lead paint and although it is a drop side, my DH is going to put screws in so it doesn't move....this was the one reason I was going to change my mind on using it and he came up with the idea.  The one thing I like the best about the old style cribs is it has a mattress adjuster on it that I haven't seen on any new cribs.  I know I definitley was not much help.  The convertible does seem to be the way to go, it's what I would get if purchasing one!!  Good luck, all these decisions are tough!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1 - we did not get a 3 stage convertible crib.  We got one that will convert only to a toddler bed.  the room is not big enought to put a full size bed in and that is why we didn't get one that converts to a reg. bed.  it didn't make sense for us.

2 - no dropsides because of safety issues.  i did not like the cribs at all.

image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are using the same crib that we used for DD#1, and that is a 3 stage convertible. 

God only knows why I thought I needed this, she didn't even use it as a toddler bed before heading into her "big girl" twin bed with the rail.   

Its not a drop side, and i don't know that we'll ever be able to use it as a full size bed, since I suspect that DD#2 will end up doing the same thing that DD#1 did- going right into a twin, and likely sharing a room with her sister for a bit... 

Christine

• Options

I know exactly how you feel!! I went nuts for about two months looking at all of the cribs and just when I thought I had found something I actually liked, I found something else. After awhile they all started looking the same...sigh.

I did finally pick one out and already have it set up in the nursery. It is a convertible crib because like another poster said, it just made more sense to buy only one bed that she could grow into. It is not a drop side as I have also read that those kinds of cribs are not safe.

Good luck and huge hugs of support on your crib shopping!!

• Options

1. I would have bought a convertible crib if we'd had the room. DD's room is on the small side. I knew when she moved up into a real bed that it would have to be a twin bed. It would have been nice to have a convertible crib that would have gone to a toddler bed and then a full sized bed. We had to buy a crib and then a new twin bed.However, this was okay since we are now using the crib for #2.  You might want to consider if you will use the crib for another baby.

2. I did choose the drop-down side crib. However, I found that I almost never dropped it down, so it was kind of a waste. I would always just lift her up out of the crib. The only time I dropped down the side rail was if I was changing sheets. So, in my experience the drop side was not as important to have as I thought it would be.

• Options

We bought a crib that converts only to a toddler bed.  We thought about going with a full convertible, but decided on this option because we hope to have another child, so we would have to buy a second crib if we went with the covertible.

We bought a drop side crib.  I haven't read anything to convince me that they are dangerous enough to avoid and my two siblings and I and DH and his three brothers and a bunch of his nephews all survived the dreaded drop side crib, and that was when clever little kids could reach the drop mechanisms themselves!

It is daunting.  GL!

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options

Thank you all soooo very much ladies, your advise has been very useful!  I feel much better knowing that I have full knowledge of what I want for a crib now!

Thanks! Big Smile

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like the Olivia Crib in white at JC Penney. ?It is on my registry. ?It is affordable. ?
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"