Parenting
Options

Baptism/Godparent problem-denied letter from priest..

We are having our son's baptism next month and asked my brother and sister in law to be the godparents. My brother isn't catholic because he never made confirmation and my sister in law is. Only one has to be catholic at our church. My sister in law was at college for the past 5 yrs and worked on the weekends. When she called her priest to ask for the letter he asked if she went to church regularly and she was honest and said no, although she goes on occasion. He denied her the letter. I have no idea what to do because we don't have many catholic options in our families. I called my church and am waiting on a response from my priest but I can't count on that. Just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and what you did.

Re: Baptism/Godparent problem-denied letter from priest..

• Options
    hmm that's tough. My church didn't require any letter, they simply asked if they were Catholic.  Maybe your Priest will still allow it?   Good luck!
  • Options
    REOMREOM member
    Is there a church/priest at her college that can write her a letter?
    DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know all I needed for my niece was a letter stating that I made baptism, communion and confirmation. They never asked if I went to church. We have a friend who was denied by the same preist.
  • Options
    We had the same issue with my two nieces. Our priest wouldn't give us a letter until we had our marriage recognized by the church (we were not married in the church). We did it so we could be our first niece's godparents. Then the issue came up again because none of the first four godparents that were chosen were able to get a letter for my second niece's baptism....so by default I was chosen to be her godmother also because I was the only person they knew who had a letter. And we know A LOT of Catholics! I don't know why they are suddenly cracking down so hard.
  • Options
    My sister was denied by my church. My BIL was almost denied because the church couldn't find his records.  We made my sister the witness and told her as far as we were concerned she was DS's godmother.  She even signed his baptism record!
    Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

this sounds terrible but have her make a $100 donation to the church and she'll get her letter. that happened to my friend and she "fixed" it with a "donation". ?

the catholic church is a well oiled money machine! sad but true. and yes, I'm catholic ;)?

Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image
  • Options
    Minnas - sad but true, sad but true!
  • Options

We had the exact same problem. It was a hassle! The problem just went on and on and on and on. We never thought it would work out. Finally, a priest that new the Godmother wrote a letter.

GL to you! 

• Options
    We are Catholic and my ds's godparents just had to attend a baptism class at their church (it was one evening for a few hours) and show a baptismal certificate.  Can you consider a different parish that might allow something like that?
  • Options
    We've never had to have a letter and only one of each of our children's godparents are Catholic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"