Oregon Babies
Options

suggestions for a job?

Here is my situation. I am currently looking for a job in Portland area and I am in early stages of pregnancy. I just graduated with a bachelors degree in communication and am looking for job that will provide enough income to save for baby. My husband is currently working but for me to stay home after baby comes I need to save income...

...I know the job market is awful right now but I'm wondering if any of you Portlanders can suggest good companies and/or job titles that I could do during my pregnancy?

If worst comes I will take a job at the mall selling overpriced clothes for min wage, but I'm really needing some suggestions.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: suggestions for a job?

• Options
    My husband just graduated and went through this.  He promised himself he'd never wait tables again  (did that to put himself through school), but alas after 2.5 months of job hunting, he's back waiting tables...  I guess my only suggestion to you right now would be to apply for any and everything you can, network, network, network, and if something does come up (even if it doesn't fully utilize all your skills and potential), take it!  You might want to even put your name in at a temp agency (such as Express Personnel), often companies will test drive potential employees under the premises of needing a temp (it's easier to let a temp go than to fire an employee).  Good luck!!!
  • Options

It's not close to you, but I heard that Intel and other tech industries on the west side are still hiring. I've heard that they are hiring engineers/cs, but they might be also hiring in HR or for office manager positions. I've also heard that eco-industries are doing well. Places like EcoTrust may be looking for people.

And, if worst comes to worst, I was told a few years ago that Target has good benifits, even for part-time employees.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your suggestions!! I actually have applied to Target and had a phone interview so I'm just waiting to hear if they picked me....I also feel like I'm overqualified since I have a BA so I might leave that off of resume if I apply to min wage or mall jobs...

Thanks!

• Options

Apply at Babies R Us, Sears, or JC Penny's where you will make minimum wage, BUT get a nice discount on your supplies for new baby.  I believe the discount at both places is 20%, so if you can get 20% off your baby crib, stroller, clothes, etc, that will help out.  I know that Motherhood Maternity in Clackamas mall is always hiring, and they love pregnant ladies!  Go in there and apply!

Also, you are definetly qualified to do any kind of receptionist or admin asst job.  You will make $10-$17 an hour.  Look on craigslist, they always have a ton of jobs, super easy to apply.

I worked at Coach over the summer when I was newly pregnant, and LOVED IT, but it was very tempting to buy new purses.  So I would say, work somewhere where you can buy necessities, or where you won't be tempted to blow your whole paycheck on "a good deal" that you don't need.

Good luck!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not sure how much hiring they're doing in silicone forest... my husband works for one of the major companies and the industry has been hit hard. But if you have the time, I guess it can't hurt to look! I also wanted to suggest looking into working at HR Block or another tax company. Probably not the best pay for entry level, but they might be looking for people to get them through the busy time of year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Unfortunately I agree with the above poster. The "Silicon Forest" out here on the westside has been hit incredibly hard. I work as an HR administrator for one of the larger companies out here and we've been doing layoffs since last year. I even worry about losing my job and I'm HR.

I agree with Jen, Target, Babies R Us and somewhere like that might be your best bet, you could also try Baby Gap or a temping agency. Good luck! It is so crazy out there for job searchers!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"