Canada Babies
Options

Returning to work poll

I work in retail and am supposed to go back on Aug 17.  I haven't started looking for daycare for DS, but we would need availability Mon-Sat from 8:45 am to 9:30pm.  Close to impossible here.  We would likely end up with a daytime caregiver and an evening one.  We would be spending around $30 a day for him to be in care, which is 1/3 of my wage per day.  My other option would be to stay home and do an inhome daycare.  I would need 3-4 kids to make the wage that I would be making in my retail job.  What would you do?

[Poll]
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Returning to work poll

• Options

ugh, tough choice.  i am struggling with a similar choice.

3-4 kids on top of your own is a lot of kids.  i think you would be drained and that is a huge commitment.

nice to not have to work weekends/evenings anymore.

keep in mind when budgeting, it costs a lot to work!  think of the gas, clothes/shoes, money on lunches, dinner you end up buying because you are too tired/busy to make something. 

maybe there is another option?  can you work weekends or something and just do before/after school care plus casual stuff like if schools have a professional day etc?

• Options

You're right, finding daycare for those kind of hours is near impossible anywhere, and even if you did, it would end up costing a fortune.

Have you looked into signing on with a dayhome agency in order to strat your own dayhome.  This way you would be guaranteed to be able to start "working"  from home b/c the agency will fill the spots for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Goldenprincess, yes I have started looking into a licensed daycare.  They would provide the kids, but take a cut of the pay.  But, they supply toys.

I know it would be exhausting having that many kids, but I could startout with a couple and add a couple more as time went on.  I am so torn as to what to do.  I wish it were easier!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you haven't already gotten onto a wait list, unless you're still pregnant, you're probably going to have a tough time.  I didn't look into it, and apparently the wait list here is 1.5 years!  Crazy!!! 

I'm not sure what the regulations are where you live, but I've looked into it here:

If you have more than 2 kids who aren't your own, you need to be licensed here- which means that you need an ECE course, first aid, additional liability insurance and a home inspection by the licensing branch.

I'd look into working off-set hours to your H if that's at all possible.  OR- do you have any friends who might think about SAH?  My gf is SAH, and has agreed to watch DS.  DH and I will work sort of off-schedules, so DS will only need daycare 3-4 hours a day.  In a normal daycare, we would have to pay the full $600-800/month to hold his spot, but because it's a friend and she's only going to be watching DS and her DD, she's going to give us a break :)

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • Options
    Has anyone else heard the rule that you can't put your name on a waitlist until you have a birth certificate?
  • Options

None of the above options capture what Dh and I are going to do. We both work shift work. I work a 4 12 hour day rotation, 2 days and then 2 night and then I am off for 5 days. Dh works Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm or 4 pm to 12 am. So even if I go back full time day care won't always be that helpful, because some weeks I will need 4 days and others none. I think I will be going back on a modified schedule because if DH is working until 12 am and I work night shift, than we need to have some one watch DD until 12:30 am, which will be really hard. So we are going to try to do it so that I work when he is home, so that one of us is with her instead of going the day care route. I may not be able to go back full time, but as long as I make what I would have made minus day care costs, were still in the same place either way.

~Katie~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"