Parenting

Any experience with a toddler chipped tooth? :(

Sofia was finishing up in the tub, and standing up ready to get out. I was right there, and turned around to grab her towel. In that moment (of course!) she somehow slipped and whacked her mouth on the tub.

She cried for less than minute, and was not swollen or bleeding, thank goodness. I peeked in her mouth and realized she has a teeny, tiny chip in her front tooth. I am so upset! I know they are only baby teeth and it is barely noticeable, but I can totally see it.

I'm going to call the pediatric dentist in the morning to see if they need to see her, and probably remain paranoid that it is going to turn gray.  Our tub is acrylic (not porcelain), so hopefully she did not do too much damage.

I am so upset!  And angry with myself that it was right there when it happened :(  Her poor little tooth!

Re: Any experience with a toddler chipped tooth? :(

• Awe, I'm sorry! ?DS chipped his right as it was coming in. ?I was so scared that it was going to come in black (top front tooth), but it didn't. ?There's a tiny chip which is much more?noticeable?to me and DH than anyone else. ?I think as long as she didn't chip it to the nerve, she'll be fine. ?Hope she's feeling ok!
  • Thanks, Springmom!

Does it only turn gray if it is chipped to the nerve?  I guess that would have to be a pretty significant chip?

• Loading the player...
  • J chipped one of his front teeth about a year ago.  It has never discolored. 

=)  I love your siggy btw!  S is gorgeous. 

• Logan fell last summer on the rocker of a rocking chair.  I also felt terrible because I was right there.

Anyway, I called the pediatrician and they wanted a pediatric dentist to take a look.  We took her to the dentist and they did an exam.  They pretty much said to just watch it to make sure it doesn't turn gray.  Other than that, she was fine.

I'm sorry your sophia chipped her tooth.  Logan's is also barely noticable and I just hated that it happened!

• Thanks for the input, girls!  I guess this happens pretty often to our quick little toddlers :)

Did the dentist file the tooth?

Breezee- thanks so much!   We love our photographer!  Here are a few more if you are interested.  Your kids are gorgeous and getting SO BIG!

https://www.buphotography.com/blog/?p=502 
  • I think if it were chipped far enough, she would be avoiding food and bev's. ?

A friend of mine's DD fell and hit her front teeth on a coffee table, and although they didn't chip, the middle two turned grey. ?We were there when it happened, and they were getting darker within about 20 min, and you could REALLY tell after a few hours. ?I would THINK that if it looked ok tonight and looks ok in the morning, she'll be fine :-) ?Never hurts to check with the dr, but I'm sure it's going to be like DS's and just "hurt" you! ?

Between DS's horrible haircut and the chipped tooth, the poor thing looked way too much like Jim Carry in Dumb and Dumber!

• imageTiffany-bride:

Thanks for the input, girls!  I guess this happens pretty often to our quick little toddlers :)

Did the dentist file the tooth?

Breezee- thanks so much!   We love our photographer!  Here are a few more if you are interested.  Your kids are gorgeous and getting SO BIG!

thank you so much=)  I've missed you around here.  I hope that you are doing well. 

Thanks for sharing that link!  She is an amazing photographer.  I love the one of her and the wooded path.  Great pictures. 

• Thanks, Springmom!  She seemed fine afterwards.  I guess it can't hurt to call anyway.

I am LOL'ing at the Jim Carey reference!  :)

• Aw, Breezee...you are too sweet!  Missed you, too!  I have to try and get on here more at night to see everyone.  These babies are really growing!

You take such nice photos of the kids!  Does J like being a big brother?

• The dentist did not file Logan's tooth.
  • Oh no!!

I think you are right about calling the dentist! Just in case. We had an appt this week after Miles pulled the stroller over himself and wacked his face. He kept complaining that his teeth hurt. Everything was fine. I just have to watch the 2 top front teeth for a while.

.....beautiful new sig.. DD has that hat and we lurve it!

• LuLu- how are you feeling?  How is it possible that you are 38 weeks?!
  • imageTiffany-bride:

Aw, Breezee...you are too sweet!  Missed you, too!  I have to try and get on here more at night to see everyone.  These babies are really growing!

You take such nice photos of the kids!  Does J like being a big brother?

the most fun people are on at night=P  It's been so slow here the past few months. 

He loves being a big brother he and Kate are getting along really well=)  So, when is it your turn for #2?=P  Like, you don't get asked that question all.the.time.

• Pinny, I hope he is ok!  I get paranoid about teeth.

Your pics are gorgeous!  We love the hat, too.  Check out her boots- I think you'd love 'em!

• Breezee- we're getting close to TTC #2!  Hopefully when Sofia is about 3 years old.  It's so complicated to figure out the timing while also keeping maternity leave/childcare costs/etc.  in mind!  :(
  • imageTiffany-bride:
    LuLu- how are you feeling?  How is it possible that you are 38 weeks?!

It's crazy how fast this pregnancy has gone by!  I'm feeling good actually.  I just get tired easily, but I suppose that's to be expected.  =)

• imageTiffany-bride:
    Breezee- we're getting close to TTC #2!  Hopefully when Sofia is about 3 years old.  It's so complicated to figure out the timing while also keeping maternity leave/childcare costs/etc.  in mind!  :(

I hate that all that kinda of logistics has to play into such an awesome life event!  I am excited that you are getting close! 

• those pictures are beautiful and those boots are ADORABLE! Where did you get them??
  • Pinny- we ordered them online:

https://www.sheplers.com/kids/toddler_size/053333.html

REOM sent me the site!

• Thanks, Scuba!  It's funny, I told DH that maybe I should smooth it with an emery board, but I was worried I'd do more damage!  It didn't feel too sharp, but I'll get a better look in the morning. 
  • My little sister chipped hers when she was about 2. ?Hers was 3/4 gone though, with nerve exposed. ?They pulled it - she just didn't have a tooth there until her adult teeth came in. ?Unless she's in pain or it's discoloring I'd say you're fine.
  • Coming in late and I haven't read the other responses yet, BUT, my son has chipped several teeth (one TWICE, poor guy!).  We were told to keep an eye out for a change in color, and to look for a "pimple" on the gum above that tooth (or below if it's a bottom tooth).  They are remarkably resilient, so it should be just fine, especially if it's really not very noticeable.

GL!

• DD chipped her tooth in the tub in November (acrylic tub, too). Hers is noticeable but not totally awful. I still get upset when I think about it because I was also right there, sitting on the floor next to the tub, but couldn't catch her. THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED AN ACCIDENT!!

I haven't read the PPs, so I'm sorry if I repeat something. We took DD to a pediatric dentist. He checked to see what layers of tooth were chipped. If it's a small chip, it's probably just the enamel. They painted extra fluoride to strengthen the area and said no hard food for a few days.

The dentist said the tooth will naturally just wear down and become less sharp (it has). He said he wouldn't file the tooth of such a young child unless it was cutting their mouth, etc., because it would require sedation - the instrument is too sharp and the kids don't sit still.

There's nothing they can do to prevent the tooth from turning gray (I believe it's dried blood inside the tooth, like a bruise), and only time will tell. My DD's did not.

Good luck and I toooootally understand what you're going through. You're still a good mom and accidents happen!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I chipped one of my teeth when I was 12 or so. I fell off a dock and hit it on a boat. Don't ask how I managed that, but I took the whole corner off it.

It's never discolored. I used to have a cap on it, but it fell off and I've never bothered to have it put back on. It's my front upper tooth, BTW. I actually don't think anyone notices it if I don't point it out. At least no one's ever said anything to me.

imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • If it is chipped the dentist might be able to smooth it down a bit for her.

Over the next few months you will have to watch and see if it does turn grey/brown.  If so that means that the nerve has died,  Most dentists won't do anything with it unless it is causing her pain though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"