Parenting
Options

XP: Travel at 36 weeks pregnant...WWYD?

My grandmother died this morning. She lives about 5 hrs away from me (by car).  With a 2 year old it takes longer than that with all of the stopping for meals and potty breaks.  My family is having a very small service for kids and grandkids only.  I feel like I absolutely have to be there.  I cannot imagine not being there.  I know that DH will not want me to travel though at 36 weeks pregnant.  And he has a point...I went into labor with DD at a little over 37 weeks.  I've had a ton of contractions this time around, which I didn't have when I was pregnant with DD.  What would you do if you were me??

Re: XP: Travel at 36 weeks pregnant...WWYD?

• Options
    Have you checked with your doc yet? I'd probably go but only with the doc's okay and I'd be a little leary with the contractions...though my doc was shocked that I didn't have my baby at 35/36 weeks and had to be induced at 41 weeks.  I'm sorry about your grandmother.  Will your DH be able to go with you to help out with DD?
  • Options
    First, sorry for your loss. What a tough call! Have you asked your OB? I'd start there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not go.  DH and I just talked about this this weekend as my grandfather has not been doing very well.  I personally think it's to risky.  I know I would want to be there and be with family more than anything but you also have to think of the baby.  If there happened to be a very good hospital close to your grandmothers that will take your insurance I would slightly consider it, but if it were me I would not go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Unfortunately, I don't think I would go in your situation. I had both of my kids at 37 weeks, & I think the risk is just too high.
  • Options
    Aw, I'm so sorry about your loss.  My grandfather died when I was pregnant with DS...pretty far along and I had to miss his funeral unfortunately...I couldn't travel that far along and had been on bedrest for preterm contractions.  My grandmother just died a month ago right before I went on bedrest with this pregnancy.  I made it to her funeral, but then a couple of weeks later my cousin died followed by my uncle.  I had to miss both of those funerals because I'm currently on bedrest.  My point is, just consult your OB and see what he/she thinks.  If you can't go then you can't go and there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately.  You want to do whatever's safest for you and the baby and I'm sure your family will understand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think I'd probably go, and just know I was taking a risk of having the baby away from my hospital and doctor.

I'm sorry for your loss.?

• Options
    I'm really sorry about your grandmother.  I wouldn't travel.  My OB wouldn't have allowed it.  I gave birth at 37 weeks.  It's just way too risky to me. 
    Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm really sorry about your grandmother. I'd check with dr. and see what he/she says.  My mom died when I was 33wks and I delivered at 36 wks.  However, if you think you could make it, I'd go.  Do you have someone traveling with you?  I wouldn't go alone.  But I do know that you might always regret that you couldn't go.  kwim?  If your dr. says no, then don't go.  I just know that it is an awful time for you and I wish you well with your decision.  Again, I'm sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"