Infertility
Options

Follistim Pen?

Okay so I needed to take 183 IU's of Follistim tonight. The past 2 nights I had to take 200 IU's. There are 600 IU's in a cartridge. However, as I was giving myself the shot the pen stopped. It ran out. So we wrote down the number that DH "thinks it was at" and popped in a new cartridge.

Now I would think that out of a 600 IU cartridge you could get 3 200 IU injections, correct???? Or am I wrong.

I feel like I'm a math teacher giving you all a test LOL!

Re: Follistim Pen?

• Options

That is correct and they are usually overfilled by a little too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    PCOS, Ectopic & M/C of twins October 2010, Currently TTC #2
  • Options
    my RE office said each pen was overfilled with 75 iu.
    TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, they have about 75 overfill. When your pen stopped, it should have stopped at the number that you still need to take, right?
    My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • Options

Well I'm a fool because I just realized that I used this one for 3 days.

But I think I got a little less dosage than I was supposed to tonight. Hopefully when I go have more blood work done on Tuesday I will be okay.

• Options
    183 IU's?  I've never heard of a dosage like that!
  • Options
    DH and I hated the pen because of this!  I called the company and they said the pens are overfilled, but if I remember correctly, it could be different amounts.  I was always so worried that we were doing too much or too little.  The RE said it wasn't that big a deal, but it was really stressful. I asked if they could just give us syringes and a normal bottle like the other meds and they said it isn't available that way.  They also told us that "everybody loves the pen."  Not us.
  • Options
    That makes sense! There should be some left over too.  How's your cycle going?  My ER and ET went really well.  They are so nice there.  They told me Dr. Engmann was on the news the other day talking about octumom. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"