Parenting
Options

Anyone have a "quick fix" for a sore throat?

I have had a sore throat since Monday (I'm chalking it up to Sinus drainage), but it has never lasted this long. We leave for Australia on Monday and I do not want to be miserable with this sore throat. A coworker suggested gargling with Listerine, but it hasn't made any difference.

Anyone else have suggestions?

tia

Re: Anyone have a "quick fix" for a sore throat?

• Options
    I don't but I wanted to say hi and have a great time!!!!
  • Options
    It is so nasty, but gargling with saltwater always works for me. Not immediately, but it can get rid of it within 24 hours if I do it a few times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't remember exactly what it is, but I think you mix Maalox and Benedryl.  Gargle with it and it will coat and numb your throat. 

Maybe someone else has done this as well and confirm.  I think you do half and half.

• Options
    I like to use those chloroseptic sprays for when I have a sore throat.  I think I've also heard that honey can help a sore throat.  If you think it's from sinus drainage have you tried to take a allergy or sinus pill -- something that will dry you up and keep things from draining?
    I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLeoChic:
    I like to use those chloroseptic sprays for when I have a sore throat.  I think I've also heard that honey can help a sore throat.  If you think it's from sinus drainage have you tried to take a allergy or sinus pill -- something that will dry you up and keep things from draining?

I have taken exedrin for the pain (only at night though, so that I can sleep). It seems to work. During the day, I just drink hot tea, and it feels a lot better with that. I don't have any sinus pills at home and forgot to pick some up earlier this afternoon, but I should go out and get something, I suppose. I just wish it was completely gone. It has been long enough.

• Options

I like to use hot jello.  A package of jello usually calls for one cup boiling water and one cup cold.  Just add the boiling water, wait for it to cool a little and then drink it.  It's thick enough to coat your throat so that you don't cough.  Time without coughing is really the only thing that will heal the throat.

Enjoy your trip!

• Options
    I was going to suggest hot tea, but I see you're already doing that.  I guess the good news is that if it was going to turn into something worse, it probably would have done it by now, right?   I hope its gone by Monday! 
    DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've had good luck gargling with salt water, though it does take a day or two.  If you think it's sinuses, try a Neti Pot (sp?).  That always cleans out my sinuses.
  • Options

Betadine gargle (it is made of iodine so if you are sensitive to that you can't use it). It is an antiviral so works really well to stop the cold virus spreading from throat to the rest of you. I avoided getting sick overseas many times this way but you kind of have to do it quickly, within a day or so. But if you don't have any other symptoms it may help. It is also anti-bacterial.

BTW you can get it here in Oz if you can't find it in the US :-) Any pharmacy of decent size should have it.

?GL! Hope the trip goes well - and let me know if/what was useful of the stuff I sent you... I will save it for future nesties/friends.

?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"