Breastfeeding
Options

Please help me get started

I'm planning on breastfeeding my dc and am not sure what to buy ahead of time and what to wait for. What do you suggest having right from the start? This is what I planned on having:

- electric pump

- 1- 2 cheap nursing bras (until my milk comes in and I know my new size)

- a few nursing tanks

- nursing nightgown to bring to the hospital

- re-usable nursing pads

Do you think I will want disposable nursing pads at first?  Should I have storage bags right away or can I get those later?  What else am I forgetting?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Re: Please help me get started

• Options

I would definitely get a box of disposable bra pads for the hospital and first few days home when you won't want to do laundry if possible.  You will want at least 2 cheap sleep bras if for nothing other than to hold nursing pads for night leakage.

I also recommend not getting a pump right away just in case you don't end up breastfeeding.  I am not trying to be a pessimist it is just that they can be really expensive and if you choose one ahead of time you can have someone pick it up for you when you are sure you want to spend the money.  DS is almost 5 weeks old and DH and I are buying our pump within the next few days.  We also don't have bags and bottles yet since we aren't pumping yet.

• Options
    I would get some lansinoh and try it because they are made with wool and can be very irritating. Put some on the back of your wrist to make sure. You can find brands that do not have lanolin in them if it does.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Disposable pads would be a good idea. I bought the Lily Padz and I would not have liked using them those first few weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! All of your suggestions were on my mind, but I was unsure. It helps to have experienced mamas give advice!
  • Options

those soothies gel pads are great at first! definately lansinoh!

I am actually really glad I had my pump on hand b/c i was able to start pumping early to help with engorgement which 1. gave me a chance to give him a bottle early at about 2 weeks to have a break  and 2. i had a good sized freezer stash by pumping one x per day when i went back to work at 7 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would suggest having a pump on hand but don't open it and keep the reciept (just incase you don't end up using it). I was told not to get a pump right away but I am glad I did. DD was 3 weeks early and had a lot of difficulty latching on for about a week and a half so I was forced to pump. I would also suggest disposable nursing pads. And I find that I get extremely thirsty when I nurse so I have a water bottle I carry with me everywhere. Good Luck

• Options
    imageKinleesMommy:
    ditto...if it's really important for you to bf then have a pump on hand.

I would suggest having a pump on hand but don't open it and keep the reciept (just incase you don't end up using it). I was told not to get a pump right away but I am glad I did. DD was 3 weeks early and had a lot of difficulty latching on for about a week and a half so I was forced to pump. I would also suggest disposable nursing pads. And I find that I get extremely thirsty when I nurse so I have a water bottle I carry with me everywhere. Good Luck

• Options

many hospital LC's will give you a free hand pump... ask!

a hand pump will be sufficient for the early days, when you don't really want to be doing pumping for your stash, but having a pump on hand isn't a bad idea.

have water with you all the time, as pp said...

also, a laptop setup is a great idea... there are going to be times when you're nursing and nursing and nursing and that little bit of contact with the outside world is a good thing.

one thing you definitely want to throw away is your watch. don't clock watch when nursing a newborn!

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

imageimage

I am the 99%.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"