High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Insulin Question

I can't get my GD under control at night while I am asleep (go figure).  My fasting blood sugar reading is always right around 105, and they want it under 95.  I am almost 8wks and the dietician is now talking about bedtime insulin.  I am nervous about doing this, but am afraid there is not another alternative.

So couple of questions for those of you on insulin.

1) What form does it come in?  A shot or a pill?
2) Did you notice any side effects after starting it?
3) Do you think they are premature at wanting to put me on it so early in my pregnancy when my reading is only 105?

Any advice is welcome.  I am new to pretty much everything.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Insulin Question

• Options
    Insulin comes in the form of shots.  I have never had any side effects (I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years).  Are they wanting to start you on insulin right away?  At not even 8 weeks, it does seem kind of early, but it is better to get your blood glucose under control as soon as possible.  Do you have type 2?  I have heard of a lot of people with type 2 going on insulin shortly after getting pregnant.  Good luck.
  • Options
    No I don't have type 2.  Just tested and diagnosed early for GD.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why did they test you early for GD?  I honestly didn't even know that they did that test so early in pregnancy.
  • Options
    I have GD, but I'm currently diet controlled (I was borderline (134) on a 1 hr at 14 weeks so they just decided to go ahead and treat me since it was likely to develop at some point anyways).  Are you eating a snack before you go to bed?  If not, I would try that and see if it helps a little.  Insulin comes in the form of a shot, however, there is a pill called glyburide that you could ask about if the fasting is the only sugar giving you trouble (It comes in several different dosages so that they can start you out on a small amount and increase from there if it doesn't help enough).  You would take it before you go to bed in hopes that it will control your sugar overnight. There are two different forms of insulin, a long acting and a short acting, but it's probably better for a diabetic nurse to explain that all to you (it can be kind of confusing) if you have to go that route.   This was the plan for me if I were to start having problems...if it didn't work and my post meals were a problem, insulin would be the next step.  It sounds like it may be tough for you to control throughout the pregnancy with just diet if it is this difficult early on (since the increase in hormones throughout the pregnancy is what causes the insulin resistance), so maybe they would just rather get you on the insulin and use to it right away.  I certainly think it's worth asking about the glyburide though.
  • Options

My fasting number in the morning hangs around 89-105. I take glyburide at night and it has helped with the numbers in the morning (they used to be a lot higher than they are now). I then take 1/2 a pill in the morning about 30 minutes before breakfast.

If you are concerned about taking the insulin shot, I would ask about the pill. The GD educator that I see gave me the option.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks.  diet controlled my sugars but i couldn't control my fasting number so i took glyburide and it worked really well.  if your fasting is the only number too high, i'd ask about the pill before moving onto insulin.
  • Options

1) What form does it come in?  A shot
    2) Did you notice any side effects after starting it? not really
    3) Do you think they are premature at wanting to put me on it so early in my pregnancy when my reading is only 105?  That really depends on the doctors. 

Is this your first pregnancy?  I have type 2 diabetes and went to the GD class.  They talked about the more babies you have the more likely you are to get GD.   Have you tried eatting a snack before bed?  I was told the reason why mine is high at night is because I am not eatting a night time snack. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I take it 3x a day, 2 different kinds and all shots. Since they want you to take it at night, you won't really have to worry about side effects. I take humalin as well, and that one has to be taken right before you eat b/c it can make your blood sugar drop significantly if you don't. But with the night time one (I can't remember what it's called...NPH, I think?) there is no worry about that. So really no side effects to worry about.

I don't think they're premature for wanting you on insulin at 8 weeks. It's important to keep your sugars as stable as possible--especially early on. The insulin isn't bad and honestly it is what's best for your baby! I've been on insulin since 16 weeks. Not fun, but not terrible, either!

• Options

I do not have GD but have been diabetic for 19 years so hopefully this helps...

1. Insulin is shots but there are pill options. With the pill you have less control and since your not that high in the morning I think the pill may drop you too much.  If they are saying you need insulin now you will definetly need it later. The bigger the baby get the more insulin you need; at least that has been the case with me and others like me (type 1 diabetic that are pregnant).  

2. Since your body naturally makes insulin there should be no reactions to insulin. There are some cases where people are allergic to certain brands but that is extreamly rare, but other than not calculating correctly there should be no side effects.

3. The sooner you get under control the better.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Go with the insulin.  It's better to get the numbers down.  My Endo is even stricter and wants them all below 85 (I average about 78 now).  My insulin is a shot of humilin NPH which is long acting insulin at bedtime.  No side effects at all.  I don't think they're premature.  You can't control the fasting number and need to make sure the baby is protected from your sugar fluctuations.

• Options

1) What form does it come in?  A shot or a pill?

a shot.They are likely going to give you Lantus. There are generally 2 types of insulin. Short acting and long acting. Short acting is generally novalog, or humalog and you take that in small increments, called units when you eat. But long acting, like Lantus, is used to control glucose levels over a long period of time.

2) Did you notice any side effects after starting it?

there are no side effects to insulin. It is a naturally occuring hormone in your body. The only side effect is better control!

3) Do you think they are premature at wanting to put me on it so early in my pregnancy when my reading is only 105?

NO! I think your doctor is being very proactive. Pregnancy is actually a naturally occurring insulin resistance. As your pregnancy progresses, you only find it harder and harder to control. IF you get control now, you are ahead of it and will be able to catch it quicker, before it gets out of hand. 

I started with 15 units of lantus when I was pregnant (I am ttc#2 and I have diabetes type 2) and by the end, I was taking 75 units, just to stay the same. 

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

first of all, good luck and don't be nervous- you're being proactive and trying to do what's best for your baby. the 105 seems high (from what my doc and counselor advise me) for a fasting read-- mine don't even like seeing my #'s above 100 post-meals (but they're pretty strict compared to most).

my doc put me on a low dose insulin before dinner but i don't always take it- sometimes i have low blood sugar and my OB would rather me have a slightly high reading over one too low. you just have to watch the #'s and communicate with the doc's. the insulin shot really isn't bad once you get over the idea of giving yourself an injection. the repeated 7x/day finger pricks hurt more in my opinion. ask them about the pill form- it seems a lot of ladies here are on that with good results.

also see if eating protein before bed helps w/the morning reads. good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"