High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Intro and questions

Hi all,

I am 14 weeks pregnant and was just informed at my ultrasound that I have a short cervix.  I have to have a procedure called a cerclage done to stitch the cervix.  I'm nervous and wanted to know if anyone had the same experience and if so, could you tell me about it?  Thanks and best of luck to all.

Smile

Re: Intro and questions

• Options

Hi! My doctor discovered a shortened cervix at my big u/s and I was immediately admitted to the hospital and had an emergency cerclage at 19 1/2 weeks.

They'll most likely give you a spinal and you won't feel a thing. I got some pretty bad cramps after the anesthesia wore off- but they gave me some great pain meds. They kept me for 3 days to monitor me and then released me. I've been home now for about 5 weeks and I'll be on strict bedrest until our little guy is here.

My cervix was REALLY thin- it was measuring .7cm and they said it should be between 3-4cm. Now, I go every week for them to check my cervix and it's been between 2-3cm since the cerclage.?

?When are you getting the cerclage? Lots of luck to you- you'll do great!?

• Options
    Hi!  Thanks so much for your reply!  I feel better already.  I am going in this Monday for the procedure - my measurement was about 2.8 but because it is so early on my Doc did not want to monitor and recommended the cerclage.  Thank you for easing my mind!  I wish you all the best too!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No problem! Sounds like your docs are very pro-active...that's great!

Again, good luck. I'll be around on this board if you have any questions!?

• Options
    Thanks, I'm sure I will!
  • Options

Hi,

I had my cerclage on Monday - even though NY was hit with the biggest snowstorm of the year!!  My doc made it to the hospital and so did I and I was ready to get it over with.  The procedure went well, and the worst part was the anticipation.  The spinal was fine and only hurt for a second.  I didn't really feel much during the procedure except some pressure.  Recovery was great and I had to stay in the hospital for about 4 hours until the anesthesia wore off and I urinated.  The next day I had some cramping and minor bleeding.  My lower back hurt from the spinal and today, 48 hours later I have a headache, which I was told was from the spinal.  Thanks for your support and good luck to all!

• Options
    I had a rescue cerclage placed at 20w, when they found my cervix to be 2cm.  Overnight, it went down to 1.7 cm while I was in the hospital waiting for the MFM consult.  I got a spinal and stayed in the hospital for 3 days being monitored afterward, then home to strict bedrest.  I had weekly CL checks, then biophysical profiles and NSTs after I funneled to my stitch.  I did end up with PTL at 26 weeks, but I ended up being induced at 38w1 day with DD.  I was 4cm dilated at that point, and was induced mainly due to my discomfort, everything else was fine.
  • Options

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that everything went well for you Smile

I was just wondering...does a shortened cervix mean the tissue is shorter?  or is it that the opening of the cervix is short or the funneling is short?  I'm still confused. 

Not sure if I'll be placed on bedrest, the doc is going to monitor me every two weeks.

Also did you develop a spinal headache?  I did and wanted to know if this was common?

Was your cerclage removed prior to labor and how did that go?

Thanks for your input!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"