Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

exercising after a D&C

Hey Ladies.....when were you able to start exercising after your D&C?  One doc tells me in a few days, another says 2 weeks.  I'm a runner, and it's already driving me nuts not being able to run today when I just had the D&C yesterday.  I had to take off my exercise plan starting Wednesday morning because I had some spotting and cramping.  I need to get moving! :)

Re: exercising after a D&C

• Options
    I was just told to "rest" for two weeks.  I didn't do anything for several days post delivery/d&c...I didn't want to aggravate any healing that was going on.  I'll probably start walking again as soon as I get a chance, but I won't do anything strenuous until I stop bleeding.  I've delivered before and I know that excercise really can make you bleed more and delay your healing.  Not something I want to mess with right now.
  • Options

I'm a runner, too. ?I took about a week off after my d&c (I was about 9 wks). ?My dr didn't give me any specific timeframe for resuming exercise, I just listened to my body. ?Granted, I'm not running hard or long - just 3 to 4 mile jogs with no real focus on time. ?The other thing that I considered was wearing nasty pads. ?I had no desire to run in a pad so I waited until the bleeding/spotting let up.

If you're really itching to get out but unsure of whether running is OK just yet, maybe you could walk instead? ?I know it's not the same but at least it would keep you moving.

I'm sorry for your loss. ?((hugs)) ?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    After about 10 days I started walking slowly on a treadmill and using the eliptical on low resistance and then worked up to running at about 2.5 weeks out. I think that listening to your body is the best indicator of how you're doing. I took longer b/c I had?laparoscopic?surgery as well.?
    oh please. not KU. effed up.
  • Options
    I didn't have a D&C, I had a natural mc at 8 weeks, so I don't know what kind of pain/after effects you have. But I still have some spotting and, um, gross things, but I have found that exercising, and running in particular, helps to kind of loosen things up, if you know what I mean. Sorry if that's TMI, but it's true. For me, the sooner my body gets rid of what it needs to get rid of, the better. I'd say if you're feeling ok, no pain, etc, go for it. Sometimes I wonder who if the people who write the exercise guidelines for doctors are people who actually work out....they always seem ultra-conservative to me.
  • Options
    My doc told me do to whatever I felt comfortable doing.  I had my D&C on Friday AM and went back to the gym on Monday.  The fist day I went pretty slow - just some time on the elliptical - but that went just fine, so I jumped back into a high impact step aerobics class on Tuesday.  I think you just need to listen to you body.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I talked to my Dr about this yesterday, I had my D&C on Monday, went for a walk on Thursday and noticed quite an increase in my bleeding afterward. I wasn't worried about it, but my husband freaked out so I called the Dr. He said that it is not making you bleed more, just making the blood that is in there come out faster. He said exercising was fine and may actually speed up the healing process. He said to go ahead and exercise but just to listen to my body and not over do it. Hope that helps!
  • Options

I didn't have a D&C, but I went back to the gym about 4 days after my m/c. I was much better there than sitting home...

Rose

3 m/c's

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"