Preemies

2nd on the way - preemie boy vs girl

Hello,

I had my daughter at 34weeks (no reason why I went early), and I am expecting #2 in July, a boy. I am wondering if anyone can reccomend some books. I believe there is a difference for preemie boys vs. girls, so I want to prepare myself if I do have him early. I'm trying to look stuff up online but i'm not sure where to begin! Thanks for any tips/advice :)

Re: 2nd on the way - preemie boy vs girl

• I don't know of any books....but congratulations on your wonderful news.

best wishes

• I can't recommend any books or websites, but I can tell you what I was told over and over in the NICU.  Baby boys have a tendency not to be as strong or fight as much as baby girls.  That really is the only difference we were ever aware of. 

I hope you have a loooong, uneventful pregnancy!

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats! I'm not sure on any books.

My DD was born at 33w5d and my son 34w3d and both spent exactly 24 days in the NICU. I don't know if you are taking the 17P injections but that may be something to look into.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the difference is not anything that you can control (unless you find out that you are in preterm labor, in which case the doctor may be more likely to suggest medication to improve the outcome like steroid shots) because it is just that preterm boys tend to fare worse than preterm girls, possibly because their bodies generally are not as ready for the world for the same gestational age. 

In terms of your prenatal care now, you should do all the same things for your pregnancy whether it was a girl or boy.  (like take your prenatal vitamins, rest and take it easy, drink lots of water, and whatever else your doctor tells you)

I don't think there are any books on this.

• Statistically girls do better than boys being born premature...but they are all little fighters. Our daughter was born at 29 weeks...heart rate kept dipping too many times for too long so they took her...she was holding the cord when they took her out so doctor's assumption was she was playing with it and would bend it for too long...would release when she couldn't breathe. Spent 2 months in the NICU but is perfectly healthy. Had our son 18 months later and had the same fears. He came two weeks early but on his own...water broke. I did take my 2nd pregnancy easier just because I was rather fearful of having another preemie....no bed rest...just took it way easy and avoided strenuous exersize and stress.

Why ask why, when you know you're going to get a smart-ass answer
  • My 27 weeker - boy, was so strong and blew the whimpie white boy theory out of the water!  I do not have any books to discuss but I hope all goes well - good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"