2nd Trimester
Options

Dog owners..

2»

Re: Dog owners..

• Options

I will try to keep this short as I am feeling verbose today....but there are great dogs and bad dogs in any breed. I know some of the girls in this thread have raved about their springer spaniels, and they are no doubt awesome dogs, but I was nearly mauled by my best friends springer in college. totally unprovoked. The dog ended up attacking other people and had to be eventually put down due to this springer 'rage syndrome' which is like this wiring problem in their brain due to breeding. Scary! We also had beagles as a kid and they are VERY loving, but can be very stubborn and don't like to listen! My favorite dogs have always been lab mixes-purebred labs seem to have gotten seriously hyper in the last decade or so (again, probably due to breeding) but I find the mixes retain a lot of the fun outdoorsy lab qualities. Btw, I worked at a vet hospital and kennel all throughout college so I have been around just about every breed.

I agree with the others re: finding a rescue. Dont focus so much on the breed. Find a dog that you click with and will mesh with your activity levels. I think you are pretty brave to adopt a dog now, but I have seen others do it with success, so good luck to you!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have 2 pups, Bulldog & Boxer & love them both but they are both kind of big as far as weight but very loving & we think will both be really good with kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJCM052707:
    imageMrsDuncan:

have as much time and attention to give to the puppy.

And oh, we got our dog from a breeder even though apparently some pp'ers would call that irresponsible. It's a personal decision.

It's not irresponsible if you NEEDED a particular breed from a certain breeder, but as a family pet? No. There are a few handful of breeders that are actually good in this country. They have show dogs, titles on their dogs they breed, every health screen known to man, tons of clauses in their contracts, breeder VERY FEW litters, have waiting lists months to years long, etc.  Like I said, not many breeders meet all of this criteria and more and it's rare someone needs a dog like that as a family pet.

I think we have different definitions of what constitutes a "breeder."  We looked into rescuing and it just didn't work out for us, so we ended up getting a puppy from a local family that breeds their beagles occasionally. Are they show dogs? Certainly not. But we do know more about our dog's lineage and medical history than we would if we adopted. Of course it's important to do your research but there are pros and cons to both buying and adopting.

• Options

Hi, My hubby and I have a shih tzu and couldn't be happier. She's a very good girl, who's playful and obedient. I think this is a great breed since they are small, typically weight 15-20 lbs and are generally very sweet. We also liked the breed because the life span is about 15 years, so we know she'll be with a long time. Good luck with your search! Big Smile

• Options
    imageMrsDuncan:
    imageJCM052707:
    imageMrsDuncan:

have as much time and attention to give to the puppy.

And oh, we got our dog from a breeder even though apparently some pp'ers would call that irresponsible. It's a personal decision.

It's not irresponsible if you NEEDED a particular breed from a certain breeder, but as a family pet? No. There are a few handful of breeders that are actually good in this country. They have show dogs, titles on their dogs they breed, every health screen known to man, tons of clauses in their contracts, breeder VERY FEW litters, have waiting lists months to years long, etc.  Like I said, not many breeders meet all of this criteria and more and it's rare someone needs a dog like that as a family pet.

I think we have different definitions of what constitutes a "breeder."  We looked into rescuing and it just didn't work out for us, so we ended up getting a puppy from a local family that breeds their beagles occasionally. Are they show dogs? Certainly not. But we do know more about our dog's lineage and medical history than we would if we adopted. Of course it's important to do your research but there are pros and cons to both buying and adopting.

That would be a backyard/hobby breeder. With so many unwanted WONDERFUL dogs in the world there's no reason they should be breeding dogs for fun, but whatever. I have a very different view on breeding animals than you do apparently.

Dogs should be bred to better the the breed. That's why good breeders to do it. Showing, titles, health screens, ect are all a part of that (a small part, there is a lot more). Anyone else is doing it for fun or money, which until we have a shortage of loving dogs in the world and aren't bputting hhundreds of nice dogs to sleep daily, I have absolutely no respect for.

• Options

We have a purebred chocolate lab that we bought from a breeder as a puppy, and she was an absolute crazy dog up until about a year ago (she's 5 now).  Cute and funny and playful, but a big dummy and a TON of energy.  We adopted an adult mastiff/pit mix from a shelter in 2005, and he has been the best dog I have ever known.  Great with cats, good with small children, and so loving and even-tempered.  I would always advise adopting from a shelter, if for no other reason than you'd be saving a dog's life.  Many shelters have purebred dogs that were turned over by owners who were moving or just didn't have time to deal with them anymore.  When we were looking for a dog to adopt we came across several purebreeds, small and large.   I'm partial to mutts, though. 

As for small dogs, my mother took in a little rat terrier puppy that I saved from a busy street about a year and a half ago, and she just adores her.  She's fun and playful, but is also content to curl up with you on the couch.  She even sleeps in the bed with my parents and doesn't move through the entire night.    

I HAVE CHILDREN.
  • Options

I've only read a handful of the replies thus far, and I think I agree with everything JCM has said.  

Look for a particular dog, not necissarly breed.  There are dogs that will fit your lifestyle in every breed. HOWEVER, be very aware of your limitations.  Don't want a super high energy dog?  Probably best to stay away from terriers.  Thinking you may have cats later in life?  Sighthounds are probably not the best choice.  That said, I have a Jack Russell and an Aussie mix, both high prey drive breed dogs, and have cats.

Adopt!  Going through a rescue with foster homes can give you a better idea of the dog you're adopting.  Usually those dogs are in foster homes, in a family setting.  Those homes can give you a good idea if the dog is good with kids, other animals, loud noises, etc.   And dogs are being given up for all kinds of reasons, a lot of good dogs are in rescue because of foreclosures (not that there aren't always good dogs in rescue).

If you want to get a purebred (and there are purebred rescues) go through a REPUTABLE breeder.  This means no dogs out of the newspaper, no buying in a pet store, or online.  Wander on over to the Pets Board on theNest and we can give you lots of things to look for in a good breeder.

IMO, I'd look for an adult dog, or one that's not a puppy (at least 8 months).  You're gonna have a baby and a puppy at the same time otherwise, and, whew!  that's a ton of work!  

Good luck!  And do come to the Pets board, there's a ton of great info on there!

imageimageimageimageimageimage Beckett*Gizmo*Charlie*Little Kitty*Hudson*Chiggy <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • Options

We have an American Dingo (Carolina Dog) and shes great. She's about 50 lbs. which works great inside and we have a big yard which she loves because shes chock full o' energy outside.

However I really just want to agree with everyone about going to a rescue that knows their dogs. I went to a very small shelter where they knew every animal and I actually wasn't allowed to look at any puppies until I had walked through and been introduced to every dog in the building which broke my heart I wanted them all. Some places let you take them for a day to see how they interact in your home. 

Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageTheMrs8/9/8:
    she is a better camper than the lab if you can believe that!  They're not as "girly" as you might think, she's a tough cookie!

A friend of mine has the same breed and she loves to go hiking with them.

We have three dogs--two lab/pitt bull mixes and a red heeler mix from the shelter.  All three are in the 50-60 lb range.  I totally agree with the pp about going through a rescue group--they usually keep the dogs for several weeks to months before adopting the dogs out to make sure they have the proper temperaments.  Many of them actually keep the dogs at their homes so they are around their family and children so they know how they will react. 

There are good dogs and bad dogs from every breed--my lab/pit mixes are as sweet as can be, never meet a stranger, and love to play with all kids and dogs.  One of them, Jake, climbs onto my lap every night to lay across my stomach.  He puts his chest right over my ever expanding belly and goes to sleep.  I joke around that the baby is going to recognize Jake's heartbeat instead of mine.  Heelers are suppose to be withdrawn and don't bond well with people.  Mine is so goofy and just a clown and loves to be the center of attention.  He wants to be where ever we are and gets up at 5am to hang out with DH while he gets dressed to go to the gym.  (The other two are still asleep)  Breeds can give you some indication about a dog (high energy, health problems) but the pet's personality and how they were raised is going to be the deciding factor.

• Options
    imagemrs. remy <3:

I will try to keep this short as I am feeling verbose today....but there are great dogs and bad dogs in any breed. I know some of the girls in this thread have raved about their springer spaniels, and they are no doubt awesome dogs, but I was nearly mauled by my best friends springer in college. totally unprovoked. The dog ended up attacking other people and had to be eventually put down due to this springer 'rage syndrome' which is like this wiring problem in their brain due to breeding. Scary! We also had beagles as a kid and they are VERY loving, but can be very stubborn and don't like to listen! My favorite dogs have always been lab mixes-purebred labs seem to have gotten seriously hyper in the last decade or so (again, probably due to breeding) but I find the mixes retain a lot of the fun outdoorsy lab qualities. Btw, I worked at a vet hospital and kennel all throughout college so I have been around just about every breed.

I agree with the others re: finding a rescue. Dont focus so much on the breed. Find a dog that you click with and will mesh with your activity levels. I think you are pretty brave to adopt a dog now, but I have seen others do it with success, so good luck to you!

Which is why it's important to do your research if you go with a particular breed:)   It is important to note that "springer rage syndome" is not specific to this breed, rather there is also "golden retriever rage" "cocker spaniel rage"  - it is more correct to say "rage syndrome" because it can show up in any breed and really, any dog.    Good training and being aware of your dog's behavior and dominance aggression patterns or tendencies can stave off any attacks - with dog training proactive is better than reactive:)  

Sorry - I'll shut up now:)

• Options
    we just adopted a sweet black lab mix who loves to play but is content to chill inside also. it definitely is more of an individual dog thing rather than a breed. check out the shelters near you, and if you don't find one right away, keep going back. it can take some time to find the right one.
  • Options
    imageSquishycheeks:
    imageMidwestTexan:

My aunt/uncle/cousins have a springer spaniel that is so well-behaved and loves going on their fishing trips (they live in Minnesota and my uncle is a HUGE fisherman). She kind of looks like this (I don't have a photo of their actual dog)...

I had a springer as a kid, and he was wonderful!

• Options
    imageJCM052707:

I would strongly recommend not worrying so much about breed, but the actual dog. Go through a rescue who knows their dogs and can tell you exactly how a particular dog will be w/ your family. You can find one that you already know is great with babies/kids and they can match something to your needs that is a perfect fit.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT buy a dog from a pet store or a breeder (as 99.9% of breeders aren't reputable AT ALL).

I concur.  Both our dogs are shelter dogs and they're amazing. We have a mutt (Daschund/Border Collie/Spaniel... we are not sure of everything) and an Australian Cattle Dog. If you go to a shelter and let them know what you are looking for they're usually pretty good about finding what you need.

• Options
    I have a miniature pincher, and I don't really recomend getting one. I love him and he is our baby, but they are very hyper. I have had them in the past and once they are a year or two old they are better, but it's a long journey to get there. We want to get a weimaraner. They are such good dogs, and they are excellent with children. We just don't want to deal with training a puppy and having two babies. They really are amazing smart dogs. I had one growing up.
  • Options

imageJCM052707:

I have a very different view on breeding animals than you do apparently.

Apparently. Adopting/rescuing is fantastic, of course, but it's also a fact that a rescue dog can come with a host of unidentified medical issues and, if it's been abused, psychological problems that can be extremely difficult to train away. I applaud you for doing it, but I don't need a Judgy McSoapbox to tell me that I'm a terrible person because I chose my puppy over hundreds of unwanted dogs. But I'm done hijacking this thread.

• Options
    We have a lab (see siggy) and got him from a reputable breeder.
  • Options
    imageAliliv:

Which is why it's important to do your research if you go with a particular breed:)   It is important to note that "springer rage syndome" is not specific to this breed, rather there is also "golden retriever rage" "cocker spaniel rage"  - it is more correct to say "rage syndrome" because it can show up in any breed and really, any dog.   

Yes, you are right. I shouldnt have specified 'springer'....I have seen it in goldens as well!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have 2 goldens and a bloodhound. They are all purebreds. I wouldn't trade them for the world. I can understand wanting to rescue a dog but personally if I am going to have a dog around my new baby I would want it to be a dog I know a lot about. We use our dogs for hunting but even if we didn't I would still have purebreds. You can't learn enough about a dog in a 20 min shelter visit to know what they're going to be like in every situation and you have no idea what kinds of breeds are mixed in.
  • Options

I would recommend just going to visit the pound.  Now would not be a good time to get a puppy since they can be as time consuming as a baby and you need your rest and relaxation now.  If you go to the pound, a local private rescue or ASPCA you can get a good feel on the dogs temperment and they will most liekly know if the dog is good with kids and likes being out doors.  I have a papillon whom I adore, but he HATES being outside or seperated from me.  I got him as a puppy.  It doesn't bother me any but a dog like that wouldn't be the best bet for your home and it's not something you would have known until the dog grew up.

I would recommend going to visit www.petfinder.com (sorry if somebody all ready told you about this, I didn't want to read through the other 50 some odd responses).  You can look up dogs by size, breed, location etc.  And they have icons to tell you if the dogs good with kids, can't be around cats, is special needs etc.  You can probably find a nice young dog around a year old that would be perfect.

GL!

m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options

If its reputable shelter, they tell you up front what problems the dog might have.

Our little mutt Reggie was severly abused, had heart worm and every other parasite you could imagine, and an inflammed prostate at 10months. The Humane Society paid for all treatmeants and set us up w/a behavioralist to help us w/his "quirks". If he had been taken elsewhere they would have put him down, that is why I love the shelters in our area. 

• Options
    imagemeryltheresa:

imageJCM052707:

Please, whatever you do, do NOT buy a dog from a pet store or a breeder (as 99.9% of breeders aren't reputable AT ALL).

...and, I agree with this.  We got both of our dogs from a rescue.

whatever you do, make sure you do your research.  there are many people who pose as "rescues" and are actually selling puppymill dogs.  i got a puppy from a "rescue" and it was very sick...$1,500 and 7 days later, it died.  just be careful.

• Options

Just wanted to also throw out there...getting the dog after the baby comes.  So this way, they know where they stand.  We had dogs first, then a baby, and they did not like NOT being our babies anymore.  But then again, the dog will not be too old once the baby is here, so it might just work out fine.

But to name a dog...every golden retriever I have ever been around, with DD, has been the sweetest dog, so loveable, and very smart.  The only down fall..they do get larger than 40 pounds. 

• Options
    We love our Lhasa Apso (see pic below).  Lhasas are known to be independent - which ours totally is - so she doesn't have separation anxiety or anything when we're at work all day.  They don't shed, but do require regular brushing/grooming - we have to take her in about every 6-8 weeks for a full grooming to keep it short and manageable.  They grow to 15-20 lbs and don't require a ton of exercise.  Lhasas can be stubborn - ours knows LOTS of tricks, but if she's not "in the mood" to do them, she'll ignore our commands.  Otherwise she is extremely smart and learns commands quickly and recognizes a lot of words. 
  • Options

One more thing I forgot to add...we got two out of our three dogs from a breeder.  We lucked out though...they were great.  It was a husband and wife, and when we went to pick out our first, Max, they had his whole family there so we could meet them; his parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc...  They would just keep any dogs they could not find good homes for.  They were patient with us, answered any questions they had, spent time with us, and we stayed in touch with them afterwards.  A year and a half later we called them again, and got our little Archie.  Both he and Max are great- no problems.  We adopted Reggie in between the two...and if we ever want another dog again we will adopt.  Adopting Reggie was the best thing we ever did, and now that the breeders we used have moved out of the area, we wouldn't want to take our chances finding another good breeder.  I have heard horror stories.  Just do your research before going with a breeder....and if you do decide to adopt, it will be the best thing you ever do- best feeling in the world to know you saved an animal! 

Here is my first attempt at posting a picture...I hope it works!  If it does, Max is apricot, Reggie is black, and Archie is red. 

• Options

I agree...do NOT buy a dog! Go rescue. There are so many out there that need a good family, and not to offend our purebred owners out there, but usually a mutt will have less of a chance of developing breed-specific medical problems down the road.

Ours is such a mutt that we don't honestly know all the breeds, but she's awesome. She's 35lbs, and looks like a small lab/border collie. She's energetic but can be calm, loves kids, and we can't wait until she has her own to play with!

No matter what you get, put them on a schedule for feeding and potty breaks, like you would a child. The worse thing you can do is free feed a dog (let them have all they want). Overweight dogs have major hips problems later. And talk to the vet about amount...dog food companies often suggest more than the dog needs (so that you run out faster and buy more food). FYI...our 35 lb dog gets b/t 1 and 1 1/2 cups per say, depending on her current weight.

Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • Options

We have a springer spaniel, beagle mix.  She is 32 lbs and is absolutely the best behaved, sweetest, gentlest dog.  I have heard NOTHING but good things about Springer Spaniels, so I'd highly recommend one or a mix like we have.  Our dog has not been exposed to children too much, but when she is she is just wonderful with them.

• Options
    imageJCM052707:
    imagerommelea:

We have a cocker spaniel and she is PERFECT.  Neither one of us liked the breed when we started looking around, but when we saw her we fell in love and now we couldn't be happier.  She is GREAT with kids, and is IMO pretty much the perfect dog. 

And here is a perfect example of why breed, in terms of a just a good family pet, means absolutely nothing. I was attacked (unprovoked) by 2 cocker spaniels who were about tohave a baby added to the family. SCARY! There are good and bad dogs in ALL breeds, but I can tell you one thing, it's hard for me to think of cocker spaniels in a good light now.

This is a huge reason it would be beneficial to you, the OP, to look at a rescue group who knows their dogs' personalities, etc.

DH grew up with Cockers and they were ALL mean and ALL bit him.

We adopted Cubby from the shelter 3 years ago.  He is a german shep/boxer mix (or so we think) and he is a WONDERFUL dog.  He is SO good with Rylee and they are best friends. 

Rylee - 3.28.08
    Malakai - 8.3.09
    Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD
  • Options

You've had a ton of responses but I'll throw my two cents in as well.. If you ask me mixed breeds are the best.  There are so many dogs at animal shelters who are wonderful, loving dogs.. who are turned in because of no fault of their own.  People can be so irresponsible.  I had a mixed breed dog, Pee-Wee who was a mix of German Shepard and Lab.. She passed away in August, but was apart of my life for 15 years.  I miss her so much every day.

Over the summer we went to a local animal shelter and found a litter of lab puppies.  I've always been a huge fan of labs and fell in love with one right away.  She'll be a year old in May.  She's about 40-45 pounds now.. and I think she's as big as she's going to get.  She has a TON of energy.. and unfortunately likes to play rough sometimes.  I agree with pp.. you should probably get an older dog as they are usually already trained and will be more calm aroud your baby.

I wish you guys the best!

• Options
    I totally agree with getting a dog from a shelter.  We live extremely close to the city of Pgh, like 10 mins from downtown and when we went to look for a dog we went to the Humane Society, well of course all that was there were Pit Bulls/Pit mixes.  Of course I was totally against getting a pit, becuase of their reputation, but a week later we went back and saw the same fawn colored pit bull sitting there so we did the meet and greet! Absolutely fell in love with her.  We ended up getting her and the next day we adopted another rescue, a collie/shephard mix.  Nova, the pit bull, has been nothing but a doll since we got her.  (They were also bred years ago to be nanny dogs and to keep the rats away from babies in England)  Of course being at the shelter they had in interacting with other dogs, cats and people.  Never had any sign of aggression. I have 2 young nieces and 1 wild nephew who loves to climb on her and never once did I see any sign of aggression.  It all depends on the dog and the way they were raised.  The best thing to do is to have a few meetings with the dog and bring a small child, if possible, to see how they will react.  Now I know that pitbulls are always in the news for mauling young and older people to death, but little dogs are just as capable of mauling a newborn to death too!  Just depends on the individual dog.  No matter what type of breed I own, I will definately keep a close eye on the dog around the baby and never leave them alone together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJCM052707:

I would strongly recommend not worrying so much about breed, but the actual dog. Go through a rescue who knows their dogs and can tell you exactly how a particular dog will be w/ your family. You can find one that you already know is great with babies/kids and they can match something to your needs that is a perfect fit.

I agree with this post wholeheartedly: I have 2 shelter dogs, a terrier mix and a pointer mix, both about 65 pounds.  From watching them around babies and children of all ages we have seen nothing but submission and affection, even when the kids poke them in the eyes or try to put things up their noses, and we will trust them completely with DD.  Speaking of kids & dogs, did you all see this link?:

https://mail.klkcpa.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whux8VOjDdU%26feature=channel_page

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have 2 dogs, both mix breeds. A 55 lb pit bull/lab mix and a 45 lb Australian shepard/ lab mix. They are both AWESOME, very laid back but still energetic. They stay mostly indoors, but enjoy there time in the yard and the dog park. They are better than I would have ever expected with kids, very gentle and loving. But I truely believe that it is because from the day we got them we have been playing with their ears, tails, mouth, toes, etc. So they would be use to the prodding of our future kids. It's seem to do the trick.

• Options

Here's my puppy n I love her but she's probly only around 10 lbs....

Kind of a shih tzu/daschound mix....and none of the rest of the dogs looked like her.

But my uncle has had 3 cocker spaniels and they were awesome, yeah it depends on how u train them but great temperments.

• Options

We have four dogs. Wowza. Two of them are miniature pinschers - my husband got the first one from a very good/responsible breeder before we met, and the second was a gift to us from that same breeder. They are wonderful dogs, but they can be a handful if you allow it. They're very excitable and vocal, and they will train you to do what they want before you know it! They have both been around infants, toddlers, and young children and are great with them. The only issue here is that toddlers and young children don't always know that they need to be very gentle with dogs like min pins, as they can easily hurt their legs.

We have a Jack Russell/rat terrier that we adopted from a shelter, and hooooo boy, is he a handful and a half. Don't get me wrong, this dog is one of the lights of my life, but he is going to be sent to in-house dog training soon. He has separation anxiety and behavioral problems (not just from apparently being mistreated before being dumped at the shelter, but also just from his breed mix) which in turn can make him destructive. I love him to death, but I would make sure a dog like that got a LOT of training before the baby arrives.

Our newest dog is a beagle mix (no idea what else is mixed in there), also adopted from the Humane Society. I can't say much about her yet, since it's only been a few days, but she's definitely the most calm and definitely the most cuddly dog we have. 

One issue you may find with shelter dogs is that they are sometimes used to relieving themselves in their kennel. Our beagle mix is eight weeks old and had never eliminated outdoors. She's doing well with her crate training, and she is taking to eliminating outside fast, but she has no problem going in her crate and then laying right next to it, because she's used to it. It's easy enough to get on a schedule to take dogs out, but it is something to watch for.

• Options

First of all I am a breeder of Scottish Terriers, I have raised and shown dogs my entire life. I belong to my national and regional breed clubs. Not all breeders are unsafe to buy a dog from! What is the most important thing for you to do is research. Research the breeds that you might be interested in. Check out the American Kennel Club website. Learn what health problems accompany a breed and then find breeders who belong to their National Clubs, we all sign a code of ethics to belong, and ask important questions about health, testing, temperment and the enviroment that you would be bringing a dog into.

I always say to never buy from a pet store, as they get their puppies from puppy mills or back yard breeders who are just breeding to make money. A true reputable breeder will have a contract, stand behind their puppies and be completely honest with you about all the questions I mentioned up above.

Good Luck and if you have any specific questions about most breeds, I have either groomed or shown most breeds. I can also point you in the right direction to a breed club in your area.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have 3 dogs, all mixes, which we've never had a problem with. I'm not going to go into details or brag about them or their exact breeds they're mixed with because like others have said, the breed doesn't play much into their temperment, every dog has their own personality & limits. And I can not stress enough the importance of training.

Most importantly I'm concerned that you want a dog right now while you're pregnant. I suggest making a list of pro's / con's & deciding what factors make a dog a keeper (well with children, potty-trained, size, if it can handle outdoors like you prefer, etc.) & what factors would draw you to find it another home or return it to the pound (not potty trained, you find out it doesn't like kids or the outdoors or it gets larger than you had hoped, you child or family is allergic, etc.- you get the idea though, whatever YOUR reasons for either would be). Keep in mind there is no guarantee that a fostered or sheltered dog that was potty trained with them will be once it gets into a new setting (ex: YOUR HOME)... similar goes for size (if you're getting a dog that isn't full grown). 2 of the dogs we adopted (who are brothers from same litter) we were told would get to be 25-30 lbs.... full grown they're about 55, luckily for us we like big dogs & size wasn't an important issue to us. As for the other dog, we knew the people we adopted him from & his parents, so we had a good idea of the size he'd get. I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to say though, think about what are make & break deals.

I personally wouldn't want to risk the possibility of having to bend over to pick up pee & poo messes while I'm pregnant, or that a dog might/might not like children, etc. I'd wait until after the kid is born & a little older so that you could take your kid with you to help choose... & by that I basically mean to help judge a dog's reaction to your child & of course, your child's reaction to dogs.

• Options

I would absolutely recommend a French Bulldog!!  I did lots of research on breeds when we decided to get a dog and I cannot say enough about this breed!  They are low maintenance for exercise, they love everyone, they are easy to train, and they are so cuddly!  Our Frenchie is almost 3 and is our baby, but she loves everyone she meets--and I've never seen her growl at another dog, let alone a person.  She is about 20 lbs--solid, but is small and won't get any bigger.  Males are usually a little bigger.  If you want to learn more, check out www.frenchbulldog.com.  There is also an adoption agency called the French Bulldog Rescue Network: www.frenchbulldogrescue.org.  There are so many lovable Frenchies available there!!  Below is a pic of our Frenchie furbaby!  Good luck with your search!

Bailey.jpg picture by jerricanoel

• Options
    I have a pure bred Rottie.  We adopted her from a rescue organization.  She has the sweetest temperament and is excellent around other dogs and children.  But we definitely went to a few adoption clinics first to find the dog that best matched our personalities.  That would be my recommendation!  We never based it off from the type of breed because dog personalities can vary so much, even between breeds.
  • Options
    I have an incredibly loyal mutt I picked up from our local SPCA (animal rescue).  I'd recommend that before buying something from a pet store.  They already have a developed personality, and are hopefully house broken.  Good luck! 
  • Options

imagemeryltheresa:
    I love my boston and my pug, but Boston's have a TON of energy.  I would suggest a pug any day. They have a good temperment, and were bred originally to be companion dogs.  Every pug I've been around has been great!  The only get to be around 20-25 pounds though, so that's a little smaller than what you were saying.

I LOVE your puggie!!!  I have a black pug myself.  He's the greatest.  I also would recommend a pug, if you must have a pure breed.  I'm also a fan of the shelter dogs too.  You might also want to think about adopting and adult dog. That way you don't have to worry about puppy training with a newborn.  There are also pure bred rescue groups too.  With the economy the way it is, a lot of people are giving their dogs to these groups becuase they just can't afford them.  Hope this helps!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"