Pregnant after 35
Options

2 Vessel Umbilical Cord

I just had my 2nd ultrasound today (at 18 1/2 weeks). Luckily all of the anatomy and organs are developing correctly and there are no physical defects that can be dectected. However, the doctor did find that, instead of 2 arteries and 1 vein, there's only 1 artery and 1 vein. He said that this condition is very common and most pregnancies are perfectly fine, but he also said that it can possibly indicate a concern with a chromosonal abnormality (i.e. Down Syndrome).

Everything else checks out okay and my nuchal translucency test came back normal, so I am inclined to think the pregnancy will be just fine, but I can't help but worry a bit. He suggested I consult my OB to get her opinion about the need for an amnio. The thought of an amnio is scary to me.

If anyone else has a similar experience and advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Re: 2 Vessel Umbilical Cord

• Options
    I never heard of that before but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!
  • Options

I've heard of it... and know that it may or may not signal anything to be concerned about.   Try not to worry - I CAN tell you that I had to have an amnio this time around, and it was much ado about nothing.   

If you opt to do it - and this comes from a *monster* cry baby... - do not look at the needle.   It looks FAR worse than it feels.   Look at the screen, check out the little bug on the tv, hang on to someone tight and it's over in 2 shakes.    Seriously - i felt a teensy pinch, and nothing after that.   It's over before you know it, and I was so relieved to have done it.     I had a bad nuchal result, turned out to be nothing... so if it gives you peace of mind?   No worries- you can do it!

Sending you tons of good umbilical vibes :)

Christine

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a 2 vessel cord with my son and he is fine.  Had an amnio this pregnancy and it was no big deal, I just closed my eyes when they did it and did not even see the needle.  Good luck.
  • Options

MrsWC - thank you so much for the reply.  I'm so very glad to hear that your son was fine.  Hearing feedback like that certainly helps ease my mind.  My husband and I are feeling pretty confident since the NT came back normal and during this ultrasound the doctor (not our OB) confirmed that all of the baby's anatomy looks perfectly normal. 

After our visit on Friday I was understandably concerned with this news.  I immediately went home and got on the internet to search for information on 2 Vessel Cords.  What concerned me is that there was a lot written about Down Syndrom being associated with 2 Vessel Cords.  Obviously an amnio would tell us for sure if our baby has Downs, but we haven't yet decided if we will proceed.  We will probably wait and consult with my OB at my upcoming appointment.  I'd like to get her opinion on the results of this most recent ultrasound.

So many decisions to make.  It can be overwhelming.  Thanks for listening.  Getting it off my chest helps greatly.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"