Baby Names
Options

If your last name ends in -er/-or ...

.. do you automatically not consider first names that end with that same sound?

For example, we like the names Carter, Spencer and Tyler. I think they sound ridiculous with our last name since they end in the same sounds, but DH seems to think it's not such a big deal.

Also, what about the first and last name starting with the same letter. We love the name Patrick, but DH is worried about the initials PP.

Thoughts?

Re: If your last name ends in -er/-or ...

• Options

Well, our last name ends in -on, and we love the name Holden.  We probably won't use it though because it's so rhyme-y.  I see what you're saying about your names.

The intials "PP" are no big deal in my book.  Kids will always find something to make fun of with a name.  There's no reason not to use one you love just because of that. 

• Options

I have the same issue as our last name ends in -son. We like names like Jackson and Addison, but I keep wondering if the whole son son thing works or not. I'm no help, but I think it helps to say the whole name out loud to see if it works coming off the tongue.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with you...in most cases the two sound silly together. I wouldn't worry about the PP thing personally.
    with two cats
  • Options

Our last name begins with P and we are avoiding the "PP" thing ourselves.  Not sure if it would be a huge issue for the kid, but it seems like an obvious one to me!

Our last name ends in -son, so all -son first names are out.  We were trying to avoid all -n names actually, but our top boy name at the moment ends in -n (although we have chosen a nickname that ends in -o that we would primarily use, so it seems less of a big deal to me).

I'm not really sure how much of a big deal it would be in general.  Probably not too big of an issue.

• Options
    Yes, we avoided -er and -or first names since our last name ends in that sound, and I would also avoid the initials PP.  There are plenty of names out there.  Keep looking!
  • Options

our last name ends in a grr sound, so we're avoiding names like Hunter, Edgar, Arthur, etc. It just doesn't SOUND good.

I don't mind the first and last names starting with the same letter, but your kid *might* get made fun of with initials like PP.

• Options

I have ruled out many names for the same reason. Our name ends with "son" like Peterson, so that's ruled out my favorite names Grayson, Mason, Jackson and the like.

I don't care about initials, though.

• Options

I have a 9-letter, 3-syllable last name that ends in -er and I've banned all -er names b/c it sounds so silly with the last name.

My husband's younger brother is Christopher, and I feel so sorry for the kid. I thought they would call him Chris, but MIL banned that.

Blank!
  • Options
    Our last name ends with "son" and we're naming DD Emerson.  I don't think much of it since I think she'll probably get married one day and take her husband's name.  So, for a girl I don't think it's that big of a deal.  I guess it would depend on the name you're considering and how it sounds with his last name.  It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the names ended in the same sound.  Also, initials aren't that big of a deal to me either. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yea. our last name ends in er and i've nixed all names ending in er because it just sounds too harsh to me.
  • Options
    Our last name ends in -ey and I banned all names that ended in the "ee" sound.  My married name sounds ridiculous.
  • Options

imagemrsmel:
    yea. our last name ends in er and i've nixed all names ending in er because it just sounds too harsh to me.

This is my situation... It stinks bc I love ER ending names, but now most of our names end in N

Also, I think that you might want to avoid the PP thing... not cause it's double but because it's well... you know... pee pee :) lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"