Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

MIL comments

I have read on here many vents about MIL's...Well I am a rather laid back person but lately I just can't take the comments and I even seem to be noticing them more lately.  She is constantly saying "well that's stupid" or "when she's at my house we won't do that" things of that nature.  Should I say something immediately when she says something or should I just let them fly?? And I do not want to be agressive I just want to suggest she no longer discount our ways of parenting and stop questioning them.  UGH, I just hate how it makes me feel, I don't have a Mother so I don't really know if it's normal for mom's to offer so much unsolicited parenting advice.  ANY ideas?  Any of you experiencing similar dilemma?

TIA!

Re: MIL comments

• Options

Have you discussed this with your H? If so, how does he feel about it? If he's in agreement, then you should first have him say something because she's his mom.

In my situation, my MIL was only making comments around me - never when my DH was there. So I talked to DH about it, and he gave me permission to say whatever I felt necessary to his mom.

• Options
    Mine live almost next door to me, so they are really annoying me as well.  They are always at my house, like.everyday.  I am annoyed with that and I hate when she says "Where is my baby."  The last I checked, I carried my DD for 9 months and gave birth to her, therefore she is MY baby.  Glad to hear someone else vent because this has really been annoying me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My mom is doing everything we has her to do, to the letter, when she will watch Peter. My MIL refuses to do anything we ask her when she will watch Peter. Guess who will be watching Peter?

I've had to ask my DH to talk to her about it, because she thinks the way we want to raise our child, is just my way. DH is way on board with it, and has expressed that. 

Good Luck. I'm done with my MIL after this weekend.

• Options
    imagebrooke929:

Have you discussed this with your H? If so, how does he feel about it? If he's in agreement, then you should first have him say something because she's his mom.

In my situation, my MIL was only making comments around me - never when my DH was there. So I talked to DH about it, and he gave me permission to say whatever I felt necessary to his mom.

• Options
    imagebrooke929:

Honestly, I think DH is used to her being so rude!

• Options
    imagebrooke929:

Honestly, I think DH is used to her being so rude!

• Options

With MILs NOTHING is normal!! Stick out tongue  Have your dh handle talking to her about her comments.  And if she is undermining your parenting, you need to nip it in the bud NOW. 

Her house should be all fun and games with the child, she should not be parenting your child. JMO.  If there is a problem she should bring it to you for you and dh to handle.

I'm sorry, i know how you feel.

My Little
  • Options

I would first talk to your DH about it and then go from there. I think something needs to be said about her descrediting your choices as a parent.

My MIL kept trying to get me to give DD water instead of nursing her every 2.5-3 hours. She thinks that's too often for her to be hungry. I told her that DD will not be drinking any water until she is at least 6 months old. MIL's comment was "well, I'll do what I want when she stays with me." DH heard this comment and said "that's exactly why she won't be staying with you." Now by no means does it need to to come to that, but something does need to be said to her.

• Options
    imagebrooke929:

They do that so you will look crazy when you complain to DH and he goes to talk to her! It's what I call a "pit maneuver" to pit you and dh against each other! I feel your pain!

My Little
  • Options
    imagead*H*ab:

I would first talk to your DH about it and then go from there. I think something needs to be said about her descrediting your choices as a parent.

My MIL kept trying to get me to give DD water instead of nursing her every 2.5-3 hours. She thinks that's too often for her to be hungry. I told her that DD will not be drinking any water until she is at least 6 months old. MIL's comment was "well, I'll do what I want when she stays with me." DH heard this comment and said "that's exactly why she won't be staying with you." Now by no means does it need to to come to that, but something does need to be said to her.

Oh yeah... fun times.  MIL gave DD 4 oz's of TAP water when she was about 6wks old... DD screamed for 13 hours.  I had to take her to pediatrician who told me how baby's kidneys are unable to break down tap water and not to mention water toxemia (sp?)  I wanted to harm MIL!!

• Options
    imagejculp:
    imagead*H*ab:

Oh yeah... fun times.  MIL gave DD 4 oz's of TAP water when she was about 6wks old... DD screamed for 13 hours.  I had to take her to pediatrician who told me how baby's kidneys are unable to break down tap water and not to mention water toxemia (sp?)  I wanted to harm MIL!!

I would have KILLED my MIL. I would be in jail right now if my MIL had done something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"