Oregon Babies

Portland doula recs?

Can anyone recommend their doula? Urbanmamas has a good post of recommendations, but it's a couple of years old. There are so many in the area; it's overwhelming!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Portland doula recs?

• We used Stacey B. from Mother Tree for our birth doula.  I can't say enough good things about her.  She was an amazing advocate for us in the hospital, and she did a great job keeping my husband and me focused when things got moving.  Also, she and my doctor worked really well as a team.  Mother Tree has a lot of doulas, and they will help you find the best doula for your birth if you call and tell them what you're looking for.

We also used ABC Doula for our postpartum doulas.  Kimberly and her doulas are so wonderful. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks! I was actually a little worried about using ABC or MT since I wasn't sure if we could pick the doula, or if we just got randomly assigned, or what.

How far in advance did you need to book?

BTW, your photo makes me smile every time I see it. Big Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks.  I really need to get another photo up.  The girls have had colds, so all the photos have a lot of snot.  

We hired Mother Tree probably by the time I was 4 months.  I can't remember the owner's name, but she really listened to what we wanted and recommended a few people.  She said we could interview as many of the doulas as we wanted before we hired someone.  I forgot to mention that I was in labor for 35 hours, and Stacey was with me from admission to the time they moved me to recovery.

I think we hired ABC around 6 months.  We were deciding between hiring a baby nurse or doulas.  We made the right decision to hire doulas.  They worked with our parenting style and would make suggestions but never force us to do anything.  They also knew about local resources.  We loved everyone we worked with.  They made us stay calm and sane for the first 3 months. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • This woman teaches our childbirth class at Kaiser, she's been great so far, and she's on the short list for us, if we decide to get a doula... still debating.  She's great, and really knows her stuff.  She charges $700, but she dropped it to $600 for us without us even asking, she seems pretty flexible on price.

www.doulajoan.com

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageenail5:

We hired Mother Tree probably by the time I was 4 months.

Crap - I need to get on it!!! 

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

• There is also a website I think it's pdxdoulas.com or something like that.  I work with my doula so it was easy for us to find one, but there are lots on that site.
  • i'm a doula and prenatal wellness counselor. (check out my page at www.naturalpregnancies.com)

you should find a doula around your 7th or 8th month in order to allow for scheduling -

to find a doula, ask your yoga teacher, midwife, friends or check out the birth support network member page for DONA trained doulas.

for lower cost resources - look for student doulas and doulas seeking certification like at birthingway

every woman deserves a doula!

-leah 

• I highly recommend ABC Doula - Kimberly Bepbler is wonderful and quite involved in the community such as teaching classes or leading groups.  I've heard so many positive raves about her around town.  She's quite friendly - I bet a phone conversation would put you at ease with working with her or someone from her staff. Here's a link to her web site:

https://www.oregondoula.com/

Michelle

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"