2nd Trimester
Options

Anyone freaked out about the mercury found in HFCS?

Okay, this is a double post (does anyone even use the nutrition boards?) New studies show traces of mercury in high fructose corn syrup which is in a lot of stuff I've been craving and indulging in throughout my pregnancy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

I'm pissed reports say FDA new about this info too and sat on it. (just like they did with the peanut scare.

Re: Anyone freaked out about the mercury found in HFCS?

• Options
    no because you're supposed to limit your high fructose corn syrup intake anyway- a little wont hurt you, just like a little mercury wont either.
  • Options
    I've been telling people for years that high fructose corn syrup is evil.. thank god i switched from the regular grocery store to Whole Foods... not a drop of HFCS in that store!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mmmm I love things made with high fructose corn syrup and since contamination with Mercury is unavoidable anyway, I'll just treat the situation the same way I do with fish....limited consmption.
  • Options

Did someone tell you to limit it due to pregnancy? Because my doctor did not tell me that.  Of course limiting it in general is a good rule but I've never heard of pregnant women advised to be especially concerned. And yeah shopping organic would be WONDERFUL if I could afford it but I can't and it's actually very difficult not to buy products containing HFCS . Just look at yogurt... I can't consume artificial sweetners so I don't buy light.. just regular yogurt. Every single type of yogurt our store sells that is not light or plain (meaning no sweetner at all) contains HFCS.

All that being said I'm going to try and stay away as much as I can but I was not concerned at all until this point and I'm just finishing my 1st trimester.

• Options
    I've already been avoiding it because of my son, he doesn't need that crap!  This just seals the deal.  It's very possible to not buy things with HFCS, it's not that much more expensive.  It's funny how our society will spend all kinds of money on crap, but wouldn't dare for the food they are putting INto their bodies. 
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options
    I'm not freaking out, and I'll still consume some, but when I'm at the store and debating between two products, I'll choose the one without it. While it's similar to the situation with fish, fish is very good for you while pregnant and it's worse to give it up completely. There are no (health-based) reasons to not give up HFCS. I'd already tried to limit it some because fructose in high amounts is hard on your liver, but this is a more convincing reason for me.
    DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Options
    No, I don't eat HFCS.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"