Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

finger foods, PLEASE HELP!

I feel kinda silly, so I hope this isn't a dumb question. ?My son will be 9 months next week. ?He has a milk protein allergy and a sensitive tummy, so he's a little behind on new foods, etc. ?He started eating those little "puff finger foods" and LOVES them. ?His teacher at daycare suggested starting him on some other finger foods. ?What should I try with him and my biggest question is.. how will he not choke on chunks of food even though there mashed up? ?PLEASE HELP a first time mom! ?Thank you so much in advance! :)

Re: finger foods, PLEASE HELP!

• Options
    as long as they are just little bits, no bigger than a cheerio ,he should be fine.  cheerios are good, Lil Crunchies made by Gerber they are like cheetoes but in different flavors they dissolve easily. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

He might choke initally, so you need to watch him. But babies use their gums to mash up food. We use molars for chewing, but babies don't get those til much later.

Our pedi gave us the okay for table foods at our 9 m appointment...everything but nuts, fish, eggs, and milk.

He likes noodles, bread, fruits and veggies. Goldfish are a favorite, as are Gerbert yogurt melts. Just make sure the stuff is in small pieces to decrease the choking risk.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    how about pieces of banana, avocado, peas, soft cooked carrots, etc.  my son also like pancakes, crackers, cheese - all cut up of course.
  • Options

We steam carrots and broccoli until they're really soft,  Well cooked pasta.  Scrambled egg-yolk cut up, banana, avocado, rice cooked with extra water so it's sticky (it gets everywhere but he loves it), cheerios, waffles cut up... pretty much anything we eat that I can cut up and is soft enough for him to chew minus the sauces or spices I put in for me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Babies are really good a gumming up food.  They may choke at first, or gag on different textures but they figure it out quickly.  In my bio, I have links for finger foods in the "favorite links" section.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"