Multiples
Options

Fat baby comments?

I went to the doc a couple days ago when I was 35w5d and the babies were measuring 6 lbs 9oz and 5 lbs 8oz (one baby had a giant growth spurt).  The ultrasound tech made comments and gestures like my babies are out of the ordinary - basically fat with huge heads!!  Everyone else that I tell make these comment like "...you have fat babies!"  I know the weights aren't 100% accurate but I feel like I've been doing something wrong!!  I've gained about 50lbs and pre-PG had a slender build - have I been gaining too much weigh?  All these comments are making me worry - is something wrong?  Are my babies normal?

Re: Fat baby comments?

• Options
    Those weights sound great- definitely not "fat" when you consider that a singleton baby is usually around 8 lbs! It sounds like you've done a great job. If I'm told I have fat babies, I would take it as a compliment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I guess I'm mainly concerned about the ultrasound techs comments, she just made me feel like I belong in a circus.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Those weights are almost exactly what I was told mine were at 36w5d- they were 5.4 and 4.13 when they were born. So when people make comments about your babies, feel free to kick them in the no-no spot. There is nothing wrong, you're doing great with them!
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    you're babies are normal and you are doing everything right. I have gained about 50lbs and my babies are 5lb15oz and 6lb4oz as of Monday. The tech said the weights could vary by 10% either way so they could be smaller than they actually are. Keep doing what you are doing!!! We are both sooooo close!
  • Options
    At just before 37 weeks mine measured at 7lbs 11oz EACH on ultrasound. The tech checked all the measurements three times because she couldn't believe it was right.

I delivered big, healthy babies with nice round noggins at 37w5d. They were 7 lbs 8 oz and 7 lbs 6 oz. You are doing a great job. You are growing babies exactly as you should. Congrats!
  • Options

my DS was born at 36w and was 7lb 4oz - so you are doing GREAT cooking those babies!!!!

having fat multiples is a God send!!!!!

• Options

My little boy is a perfect example of how wrong ultrasounds can be!  They said at my 34 week ultrasound that he was 6 lbs and some ounces, he was born at 36w6d at 4 lbs 9oz!  They MAJORLY messed up!  We were lucky that at my 36 week ultrasound the tech (a different one) spotted that Jaxon had some cord blood flow issues (causing his low weight) and this triggered more testing and ultimately lead to me being delivered early.

Those are nice healthy weights and I would have been glad to have both of my babies that size!  Don't let anyone tell you different!

• Options
    I was feeling great when I had an appt at 32 weeks where they old me my babies were both 4lbs 11oz. When they were born at 33 weeks they were both 3lbs 11 oz. The u/s was a pound wrong! Big difference. So they aren't always accurate. Anyway take it as a compliment. The bigger the babies the better.
  • Options
    That's about what my boys weighed at birth (35 weeks and 3 days), so I think they aren't fat, just a good size.  You aren't doing anything wrong - it's great that they are that big and still cooking.  The bigger the better!  : ) 
  • Options
    Your babies are totally normal. Don't listen to things that the tech says!!
  • Options
    My boys were born at 34 weeks 1 day and weighed more than what your U/S said!  And believe me, they were NOT fat - and they are normal!  I would say you are doing a FANTASTIC job, and to keep up whatever you are doing.  Yay for big babies!!
  • Options

I delivered @ 35w 1d and each baby weighed 5lbs. 6 oz. so it sounds like they are right on track with what mine were. My babies werent at all fat babies, they seemed normal for being "late term premies" and our doc recommended the enfamil 22 calorie formula to try and fatten them up. They are still on the low end of the scale @9 1/2 lbs.

You shouln't be concerened at all of them being too big, even if in fact the US weights are correct.

• Options
    Your babies are completely normal!!! Thank God they are measuring that large-esp for twins!!!  Mine were born at 6lbs and 6lbs 11oz and didn't have to spend any time in the NICU.  From what I've read, one of the main factors in NICU stays for twins is low birth weight and the problems associated with it.  I was lucky enough to have a high-risk perinatologist throughout my entire pregnancy-she was even a mom of twins-her office was extremely encouraging and supportive and couldn't say enough good things about my "fat" babies and their chubby weight.  Good luck with the delivery-you are doing a fabulous job making those babies!  Keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"