Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

? Re: Cytotec/Misoprostol

I thought my body was ready to handle this latest m/c on it's own but my cramping and spotting have let up over the last few days.  It looks like I'll need to try Cytotec tonight/this weekend.  My other losses have either been very early or I had a d&c so I'm admittedly a little nervous. 

How long does it ususally take for the cramping/bleeding to start?  My ob said about 12 hrs, but that seemed a bit more conservative than I was expecting.  If it's useful info, I should be about 8w 4d but I'm measuring closer to 5w (only a gestational sac and yolk sac, no fetal pole or heartbeat).  Any other advice is welcome, too.  Thanks, ladies.

Re: ? Re: Cytotec/Misoprostol

• Options

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I was so nervous when I found out I had to take Cytotec but here's my experience! I took the Cytotec the day after I found out the baby had no heartbeat because I didn't want to wait for the miscarriage to happen. I have to say I was prepared for the absolute worst and it didn't end up being as bad as I thought it would be! Here's how it went for me:

6am on Tuesday: Woke up early and ate a big breakfast -- I wanted to get up early so it'd be over sooner

6:30am: Took 1st Cytotec pill and laid down on couch to watch tv

11:30am: Slight cramps began similar to AF cramps

12:00pm: Passed 3 large blood clots and began the bleeding but it wasn't heavy -- more like the beginning of a period

12-5pm: More cramping that was like AF cramps and continued to pass clots and blood. Never soaked a pad as most came out in toilet when I went. Passed a few large clots that were the size of half dollars.

Wednesday-Thursday: Went back to work. No more cramps, passing small clots.

Friday: A co-worker made me laugh when I was standing up and I felt the gestational sac pass (no pain!). I ran to the bathroom and it was probably the size of a prune. Bleeding got a little heavier immediately after passing sac and then subsided within an hour.

Saturday-Monday: Still had light bleeding like the beginning of a period but no cramps.

Hopefully I'll never have to go through this again but if I ever did I would use the Cytotec again. I didn't have to use ANY of my pain meds! I felt relief knowing when I would be having the miscarriage. I was prescribed 3 200mg tablets to dissolve in my mouth.

So sorry you have to go through this. Please come back with any questions! ((HUGS))

• Options
    Oh, I forgot to add that depending on how many mg you're prescribed will depend on how long it'll take to start. I've heard of ladies who had 800mg and it was inserted vaginally and they started to bleed within 2 hours. Mine took a little longer than that because I was 600mg taken orally.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks!  I think I saw your story in an earlier post but you know how well the search function works around here...  ;) 

Good point re: the doasge.  My ob prescribed 800mg vaginally and suggested that I scratch the pills with a knife or razor blade before inserting.  He said that taking the coating off usually helps things move along more quickly.

• Options

I am so sorry you are going through this.  My situation was a little different but here you go:

I was 13 weeks, had to insert 3 Cytotec pills vaginally 4 hours before I went in for the D&E (we chose the D&E becaue I was further along and wanted genetic testing).  I was able to fall back asleep but only for about 1.5 hours and then woke up to cramping.  The cramping got worse as the time went on and by the 4th hour when I got to the hospital it had become full contractions and I was dialated. 

Since you are taking it for a mc at home it will be different.  My girlfriend had to take it and she said she had cramping for 12 hours that was sometimes like regular period cramps to very painful and crying.  I am so sorry and if there is anything I can do... I am here for you.

• Options

One more thing....

If you have to insert it vaginally, you might want to consider having your SO do it for you.  I know it sounds strange, and I thought my Dr. was crazy but it helped.  If you dont get it up far enough, your contractions will take longer and you might irritate your cervix.  Just a thought.  Good luck!

• Options
    Hey there - I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I can give you the complete lowdown on my misoprostol experience on Monday but would prefer to send it to you by PM...if I could just figure out how! Maybe if you send me a PM then I can respond?
    B/G twins!
  • Options

I took Cytotec last weekend for my second missed miscarriage. My first I did a dc and did not want to do that again. This time I took 4 pills vaginally. I took it at about 7 pm. around 9 :30pm I started bleeding and cramping. It was the most intense until about 12:00 I fell asleep the whole night ( Which i was surprised) The next  morning around 8:45 I passed most everything along with some large clots at about 2 hours later. I laid in bed and watched movies most of the day.  That evening my cramps completely went away. I am still bleeding, but i think it is almost over

from my experience with the dand c and then taking cytotec, The pills were a lot easier for me to go through. I know that everyone is different though.

I really hope everything goes ok for you.

• Options
    I figured out the PM - you've got mail! :)
    B/G twins!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"