Baby Showers
Options

Need help with etiquette/wording the invites

Ok so I let my SIL know that my only request for the shower was that people were not required to bring a gift and not to really put my registry on the invites.  Well I found out she ordered the invites yesterday and it did say where I was registered.

H and I have already bought ALL of the 'big ticket' items so my thinking for making a registry was for the small stuff and for those people who really felt like they had to bring a gift.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I tell people not to buy anything?  I was thinking of making a little insert for the invites saying something about this...

Re: Need help with etiquette/wording the invites

• Options

Let it go.  Seriously. Let it go.  It's a SHOWER.  A shower is to "shower the mom to be w/ gifts".  I would be shocked if people actually came w/o bringing a gift- even if you put a note in the invitations.

Get used to it, to be blunt.  People who got me a shower gift- once my DS was born and they came to see him, they showed up w/ yet ANOTHER gift for him!  So sweet, but so unnecessary. 

Honestly- if you don't want people to feel "required" to bring a gift, you shouldn't have a shower at all....

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    yeah, no one's gonna show up to a show up to a shower without the gift.  that defeats the point.  if you don't want gifts, don't have a shower.  people want to buy little cute things for baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I was invited to your shower I would be very confused.  The purpose of a shower is to give gifts.  If I saw your registry info on the invite, but then a note stating not to bring a gift I would be very perplexed and wonder what the heck is going on.  Like the PP stated if you don't want gifts than don't have a shower or do a 'meet the baby' after the birth.  It sucks that your SIL didn't respect your wish to not have the registry info printed on the invitation, but at this point you have to roll with it.  GL   
  • Options

I think that is a very disingenuous post.  If you didn't want gifts you would neither have a shower nor have registered.

There is nothing wrong with receiving gifts, by the way.  Etiquette is all about being gracious...

• Options

The gifts aren't about you and what you are comfortable with. It is about allowing family and friends to be a part of your baby's life; about allowing them to show their support for your new family and stregthen that bond. Asking them not to bring gifts in an overt way is like denying them that experience.

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Some people like to buy others gifts.  I know it might make you uncomfortable but accept them graciously.  If there are things you need, add them to your registry, if not don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"