Blended Families
Options

Need outside opinions...

I need some objective opinions because I feel so strongly about this:

My 12 year old (13 in two months) wants to watch the episodes of the Daily Show and Colbert Report that we have TiVo'd. ?She has watched the shows before (at her mother's house, at friends' houses) and she has even watched a couple of episodes here at our house (not with my permission). ?Last Saturday, I came downstairs from my morning shower and she had started an episode. ?I told her that it wasn't appropriate and to turn it off. ?Her father (who was in his office and not paying any attention) backed me up. ?

She brought it up again tonight at dinner, asking me why I won't let her watch it. ?Her argument was that she had watched it plenty of times before. ?I told her that I have no control over what she does when she isn't with us, but that she wasn't going to view it while she was in our house. Also, she tried to argue that she fast-forwarded over the inappropriate parts to which I responded that she has to be inside the "inappropriate bits" to know to fast forward. ?She is currently having a tweenage moment in her room.

I feel strongly that this material is not good for a young woman, especially with the crude sexual references, and I worry that the subtleties of their biting racial humor might be lost on her.

Ok...so give me your opinions...Daily Show for a 12 year old ?Yea or Nea??

Re: Need outside opinions...

• Options
    I would rather my kid watch that then all the other crap that is on tv, at least it is somewhat educational.
  • Options
    If you feel there are subtle points of humor she isn't getting, watch it with her and explain those points. I think it could be a great introduction to an interest in politics among other things, especially if she has a knowledgeable adult on hand to discuss it with.

Click me, click me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not let my 12 year old watch it. We have this discussion with the Secret Life of an American Teenager.
  • Options
    Honestly I don't think those shows are that bad especially compared to what they discuss at school. I think if you feel strongly that she should not watch it then stick to your guns but if she's watching it with her mom then she is being exposed to it.  Maybe watch it with her to see what she finds so appealing and this way you can be there to explain things she may not understand. Watching it will at least expose her to some of the current events.
    Misty & Victor Jr. Married August 5, 2006 - St. John, USVI BFP 11/1/09 - Natural M.C. 11/30/09
  • Options

imageaulrobbri:
    I would not let my 12 year old watch it. We have this discussion with the Secret Life of an American Teenager.

I wouldn't have an issue with watching this show-- It's a good way to actually START the talk about sex with your teen. And it's a Christian based show. Same ppl that made 7th Heaven.

• Options
    Well I watched the today show when I was 12. I think if you don;t want her seeing it then you should stop tivoing it to remove some of the easy access to it.
  • Options
    I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report every day and aside from the random cursing (which they bleep out), I'm having a hard time thinking of something in there you might find inappropriate.  Honestly, I'll have to watch the next episode with a more critical eye, because I'm not seeing the objectionable material.
  • Options

You told her no...so the flippin answer is NO. Sounds like daddy agrees with you.

If you want her to respect you the answer is still no no no. No matter what points she tries to prove. In your house she will not watch it.

I don't think it matters what it is...whether its a TV show or a quarter for a piece of gum. No means no means no. And I think eventually she'll quit asking. 

My DH always says "Teach them to respect you and love will follow." My hubby is a smart man.

Good Luck. I have a 9 year old step daughter and know how difficult these matters are. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"