Oregon Babies

How did you find your day care??

Ladies!  I'm lost on where to start.  Did you just drive around your neighborhood and see what's available?  I tried google and it's not coming up with much...I've looked on craigslist and they all seem very sketchy... Nanny placement agencies seem great, but they all charge a "placement fee" which is $1200 ish... I'd love to find a church daycare or home provider, but don't want to just randomly trust some stranger with my baby.  I'm looking for 3-4 days a week, for when she is about 12-16 weeks old and I go back to work part time.

Am I missing something obvious here?  Thanks in advance!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How did you find your day care??

• We were lucky to find our amazing nanny on Craigslist.  It took 6 months searching on Craigslist before I spoted someone worth contacting.

Have you checked? https://www.oregonchildcare.net/findcc/prov_search.htm

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I know two families who use nannies and have found fantastic ones on Craigslist.  One family found both nannies #1 and #2 on there once #1 left to have her own baby.  You can keep checking there, or also head on over to the playground in your neighborhood to ask some other moms.  Neighborhood moms are probably one of the best sources of information on all that kind of stuff.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • This website is a great local resource: www.urbanmamas.com/

Use the search function for daycares/child care and read the discussion boards.  I've gotten great info on it for daycares, pediatricians, etc.

• Check your county's Childcare Resource and Referral department. They can usually provide  a customized list of providers based on your requirements. Here is the state website where you can find the one for your county:

https://www.oregonchildcare.org/

• Also check out childcareratingz.com. I happened to find mine through a google search. My DCP has a website. Although she runs an in-home daycare she is licensed by the state. We visited her and a Kindercare place nearby, but didn't like the vibe at Kindercare at all. We put our name on the list months before DD was here. And before I went back to work I did a few trial hours where I would just drop DD off for an hour or so and went shopping. I have not had any regrets.
  • Another option is to nanny share. If you know someone who lives close to you who is also interested in a nanny, you could go in together. I had some friends when I worked at Nike who lived a few blocks from each other and they would swap back and forth and have the kids and nanny at one home one week and the other home the next week. That way one family wasn't providing all of the food etc.
  • Best place to look for daycare is referals through friends and family. I have the most amazing daycare provider! She is awesome! Also, with friends and family giving you referals you can at least have an idea of who is watching your new baby.
  • imageenail5:

I was going to recommend this site as well. It's oriented towards day cares. This one is more for nannies, which it sounds like you are more interested in. https://www.care.com/

I also agree with pp to ask around - I ended up choosing one that a coworker mentioned.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"