Adoption
Options

Are you doing anything extra to help find a birthmom?

I saw this posted on another site and thought it was a great question. In addition to completing our homestudy and becoming an official waiting family, we:

--sent letters out in our Christmas cards to family and friends letting them know about our adoption plans. We encouraged everyone to keep us in mind if they hear of anyone considering adoption.

--We are going to contact local doctors, hospitals, etc. through letters, too.

--I may put our profile online on another website

--I already emailed everyone in our email address book

--I might make bumper stickers or something similar for our cars

--I started a Facebook page promoting our adoption and made an email account specifically for that

--I may do the same thing on Myspace

Are there any other things you are doing to help find a match?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are you doing anything extra to help find a birthmom?

• Options

It is illegal in our state for adoptive parents to "solicit" -- however, my lawyer is part/founder of an adoption group in our area and they reach out to doctors/hospitals/labs with posters and brochures and host profiles on their site. 

My lawyer warned against a FB or MS page, or posting classifieds, etc.  She did say blogging is fine, so we have another blog that doesn't have our last names/location in it and acts as a searchable profile.

I send out periodic emails to everyone giving them a brief update and telling them to let us know if they know of someone considering adoption.  I would just say be very careful about the laws in your state.  :)

• Options
    I have called local womens shelters, crisis preganancy center, my ob/gyn, and other adoptive families that I know to get the word out.  Also have posted notes about adoption on facebook and myspace
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have thought about this too. I don't know what my states laws are on this yet but will be finding out as soon as we are further along in the process. My parents are friends with a lady that works at the hospital that hears of birthmom's deciding on adoption at the last moment every now and then though. A young lady just decided on adoption a few weeks and she contacted my parents, too bad weren't ready. :(

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

No, just because I wasn't sure about the laws in our state.  We've spread the word that we want to adopt.  We did have a couple of leads from friend-of-a-friend situations, but they didn't pan out.

In the end, I am just trusting our agency.  I wanted our potential birth mom to get a lot of good counseling, too, and I knew our agency would provide this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"