Baby Showers
Options

Mother drama

My sisters have been planning a small shower for me, which will be held at one of my sister's homes. Now, this particular sister's husband and my mother have been in some dispute (don't care to know so I haven't asked) so my mother told my sister that if it was at her house, she was not coming. Instead, she decided to call a restuarant in town and get details about having it there--totally stepping in on my sister's plans.

Bottom line: I told my sister that I would rather have it at her house (restuarant in question is a dump) and if my mother decides not to come, that's her problem. Am I being a biotch here?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mother drama

• Options
    I don't think you are.  If your Mom wants to be childish and can't put her differences aside for one day for you then forget her.  Not like your BIL will be there, right?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Nope.  When the "If you __________, then I won't be there" card gets played in my family my response is ALWAYS to do what was in dispute.

Call her bluff.

She's being childish and selfish.

People will control other people as long as they're allowed to.

If I were your sister I wouldn't allow her to control me like that.

Bottom line is that it sounds like it's your sister's call, not yours.  I'd try to stay out of it as much as possible and leave the ball in her court simply telling your sister that you're honored to have a shower at her home and Mom's issues are not a concern of yours so please continue with the original plan.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No, not at all.  You're completely justified in your feelings.

First, your sisters are throwing the shower, not your mom.  They should get to decide where it is held.

Second, it's really immature to throw a tantrum about something like that.  I highly doubt your BIL will be at the shower anyway, whether it's held at their home or not.  

Your mom is going to end up being the one who looks bad if she refuses to show, not you.

• Options
    You did the exact right thing!! Your mom is angling for control and using a wonderful occasion to be vendictive and she is dragging you in to it. I am sad that she is doing that but she is WAY out of line. Time to put her ego on hold and put you and your DD first. If she doesn't want to go then suggest you go and do something nice together like have high tea or something. Perhaps once you give her an option it will take some of the tension out of the situation.
    Good luck and keep us updated.
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto all the others!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Hopefully your Mom will figure out she's being lame and come. You shouldn't feel bad at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"