1st Trimester
Options

Old Wives Tales - Boy or Girl?

I have seen old wives tales posted throughout the boards.  Thought it might be fun to see them all in one spot.  So, if you know one -- post it!  All in good fun..... 

One I recently read was:

GIRL = cravings for oranges/orange flavors

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Old Wives Tales - Boy or Girl?

• Options

I haven't heard that one... but all I've wanted is orange soda and orange jello. I can't bring myself to buy them, though! Hmmm... maybe a girl is on the horizon?

Old Wives Tale:?The belief is that, if your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn't put on a pound, then you're carrying a boy.?

?

Married to Patrick - 8.9.08 Mom to Lennon - 9.1.09 Expecting #2 - 5.20.12
  • Options

OK for fun! These are crazy.

How do you hold a mug?
    boy = by the handle
    girl = by the body of the mug

How do you feel about Orange Juice during pregnancy?
    boy = don't want to drink it
    girl = got to have it everyday

If someone asks you to show them your hands, you:
    boy = show them palms down
    girl = show them palms up

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish the OJ one was true!?I read that a girl steals your beauty, so if you are carrying a girl, you get plumper all over and break out more.?
    image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • Options

Are you craving something sweet or tart?

"So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you. However, if you go by the scientists, then some of them will claim that you're not even having cravings because cravings just don't exist."

Yeah right- my cravings don't exist. I don't think that scientist has even been pregnant.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageRee08.04.07:

Are you craving something sweet or tart?

"So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you. However, if you go by the scientists, then some of them will claim that you're not even having cravings because cravings just don't exist."

Yeah right- my cravings don't exist. I don't think that scientist has even been pregnant.

hmmm - I have something chocolate at least 1 time per day & crave sour stuff.  Wonder what that means????

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

One that I've sworn by and have been right (well, 90% of the time)

if the mother gets sick and actually vomits from m/s, then it's a girl.  if no pukey, it's a boy...

short story: I know 2 women who went for early u/s and hadn't gotten sick, they said they were having a girl, so i said are you sure, wait til the 20 week one... and once they went, their girls grew boy parts! 

• Options
    imagesunset11/7:

OK for fun! These are crazy.

How do you hold a mug?
    boy = by the handle
    girl = by the body of the mug

How do you feel about Orange Juice during pregnancy?
    boy = don't want to drink it
    girl = got to have it everyday

If someone asks you to show them your hands, you:
    boy = show them palms down
    girl = show them palms up

Looks like a little girl will be headed my way!

• Options
    NO M/S yet.....maybe a boy i guess?
  • Options
    I heard that if you're hungry all the time, you're having a boy. ?Aren't all pregnant women hungry all the time? ?If not, I guess I'm having a boy.
  • Options

So far, based on everything I've heard I'm having a girl and a boy!! Here are a few I've found. 

More likely a boy if....

? Your baby's heartbeat is lower than 140 beats per minute 
    ? you tie your wedding ring to some thread, hang it over your stomach and it moves in a circle
    ? you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is even

More likely a girl if...

? Your baby's heartbeat is faster than 140 beats per minute 
    ? you tie your wedding ring to some thread, hang it over your stomach and it swings from side to side
    ? you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    These are cute ! Some I have never heard before.
  • Options
    I have heard craving salty is a boy and sweets is a girl. 
  • Options

Here is a little quiz combing all the tales

https://www.childbirth.org/articles/boyorgirl.html

• Options
    imageSeptsoulmates:

Here is a little quiz combing all the tales

https://www.childbirth.org/articles/boyorgirl.html

thats cute

i have a 73% chance of having a boy.
    And a 26% chance of having a girl.

• Options

Not really an old wives tale...well maybe. If you take a string, and get a weighted object (ring, needle, safety pin) and tie it to the object, then hold it over the mothers wrist, it will swing back and forth for a boy, or a circle for a girl.

I've also heard that when doing it over the wrist (and you are a mom of multiple children, or ever had a miscarriage), it will show each pregnancy. If you've never been pregnant it will stay still.

So far, I've done it on everyone, and it works! You can also do it over your pregnant belly and it will either swing back and forth or go in a circle. Try it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"