D.C. Area Babies
Options

Time to update the "how I found daycare" Google doc

Almost two years ago now I did a poll on here asking questions about how people found their daycare provider.  I still have the answers in a Google doc that I share with everybody I know, because I remember how stressful it was finding daycare... even just starting the search was really nerve-wracking to me. 

My own personal experience was stressful, I remember it well.  Due to many circumstances beyond my control - namely selling a condo and closing on a new house in a new town one week before my due date - I had to wait until after DD #1 was born to begin my search. I was totally bananas since everyone had said to start my search as soon as I got pg!  Needless to say there was a happy ending and DD #2 will be going to the same place as DD #1 - we are thrilled with our provider.

I'd like to throw these questions out again, to update the document.  I'll leave all the data that's already in there of course - so some of you ladies have already contributed (thanks again!) but I thought I'd try to get some other folks to add to the document.  I think it's really helpful for people to see how other people found their provider.  Here's the document currently: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p6LhXlNI9FdU2cVy0kCNZeQ

If the spirit moves you, please reply to this post answering these questions:

1) Where is your current daycare provider located?  (city, state)

2) Please tell us if you searched for a center, in-home, a nanny, au pair, etc.

3) How did you begin your search?

4) How did you find your current provider?

5) Is your provider near work or near home?

6) How much do you pay per week? (please tell us if you provide food, diapers, wipes or if your provider does)

7) Any other info you think might be helpful?

At the bottom of the document I have links to websites where people can conduct searches based on zip code, as well as other links.  So please share any websites you think are helpful for the search.

Just to be clear, this is not a "rate your daycare provider" or "recommend your daycare provider" kind of poll - more of a "how did you find daycare" kind of thing.

Thanks in advance!!!!!  Big Smile

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.

Re: Time to update the "how I found daycare" Google doc

• Options

Germantown, MD

I looked at both center and in-home, but really focused on in-home

Using LOCATE - the MD service to help find licensed childcare options. I used their website, but eventually called them and worked with someone. I also kept watching thebump/thenest and Craigslist for postings.

Craigslist actually. She is licensed, but was not on any of our lists from LOCATE or our research - there are so many in-home people, the list can only include so many in your local area.

Near home - about 10 minutes (at most)

6) How much do you pay per week? (please tell us if you provide food, diapers, wipes or if your provider does)

$250/week for an infant. We provide food, diapers and wipes.

I didn't search for and find her until my DD was 1 1/2 months old. In-home providers don't always know when spots will open up and they don't want to hold open a spot for too long. So, if you are going the in-home route, it is best to do it a month or so out from when you will need care. I know with our provider, we only need to give her 2 weeks notice when we are leaving.

• Options

I live out in Damasus, MD, so I'm not sure how many people will find this helpful.  But I figured that it wouldn't hurt to share my info anyway.

1) Where is your current daycare provider located?  (city, state)  Damascus, MD

2) Please tell us if you searched for a center, in-home, a nanny, au pair, etc.  I mainly searched for a center that was in my town or on my commmute (I work in DC).  I needed a place that had longer hours since my commute means that I'm home past 6:00 pm.

3) How did you begin your search? I had my DH talk to coworkers with kids, I googled daycare in MoCo and I used the MD state Web site that helps parents locate daycare. (https://www.mdchildcare.org/mdcfc/for_parents/finding.html)

4) How did you find your current provider? Actually, the center is on the street that I live off of.  I just happened to call them since they were so close by.  It's a rural location, so it is partially in an old coverted house with an additional building on the property.

5) Is your provider near work or near home? Home.

6) How much do you pay per week? (please tell us if you provide food, diapers, wipes or if your provider does)  We pay $260/week.  We provide everything. 

7) Any other info you think might be helpful? Like most people, we got on waitlists pretty early.  I made sure to follow up towards the end of my pregnancy to see where we were on the list.  It helped me get an idea of whether a center was out of the running, since several of them told me that there was really no shot of a spot opening up when we needed it.  We were really just lucky that an opening came up when it did, but I also think that it helped that I "befriended" over the phone the admin director of DD's center.  She knew who we were and all about DD before the spot opened up.  I don't think that we leapfrogged over anyone, but I think that trying to develop a friendly relationship is helpful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for making such a helpful document. Please post the update with the link as I am now in this situation and I find this really helpful when explaining things to H!
  • Options

Figuring out daycare was SO stressful, esp b/c I needed p/t daycare and it's so hard to find for infants!

1) Where is your current daycare provider located?  (city, state) Ashburn, VA

2) Please tell us if you searched for a center, in-home, a nanny, au pair, etc. Looked for center and in-home

3) How did you begin your search? Asked around, online searches (both generic google searches and searching the VA Dept of Social Services site); Also checked infanttoddler.com - two years ago they didn't have many providers out in Loudoun Cty but I think that's starting to change

4) How did you find your current provider? fell back on family who rearranged their work schedules to help out -- we are SO lucky!!

5) Is your provider near work or near home? home

6) How much do you pay per week? (please tell us if you provide food, diapers, wipes or if your provider does) none Smile Mom comes to my house and obviously uses our food, diapers, etc

7) Any other info you think might be helpful? start looking early, but know that if you are looking for in-home daycare they usually can't tell you if you have a place until you are closer to your due date; ask everyone you know - leads can come from anywhere!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Chantilly, VA

Wanted an in-home or a nanny share.  We have a former au pair/nanny that we share with another family

3) How did you begin your search?  I used the forums on www.DCUM.com

4) How did you find your current provider? The family we share with had already found her and needed to fill a vacancy since the previous family moved.

Near work (15 minutes)

Both families pay $275/week.  We provide everything:  wipes, diapers, food, formula. 

If you can network within a school or a workplace, that can be very helpful as well.  Have a backup sitter service in case your in-home provider is ever ill/bails on you (which is what happened to me in December.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Is there an easy way to print the Google doc?  I can't figure out how.  I would like to show it to my parents and husband as we are just beginning the search--baby due in June!

• Options
    Thanks so much for doing this! I'm in the process of looking but when I find something I will def add my 2 cents for future new mommies.
  • Options

Thanks!  I probably should be in the process of looking but will be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed with looking for baby stuff and work besides!  eeek!  We are also moving hopefully shortly after the baby is born so I am not sure where to find a daycare....I'm thinking somewhere in the middle?  This is hard!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Annadale, VA

Originally I looked at centers and enrolled my son at one close to work.  Once he was born and I re-visited it I HATED it.  So I began the serach all over again one month before I had to go back to work.  This time I researched centers closer to home as well as in-home providers.

I got recs for the center, which I ended up not using.  I went onto the Dept of Soc Serv website for VA, as well as Craiglist and met w/Infant Toddler Fam Day Care to find an in-home provider.

Craigslist of all places, which I know sounds a bit scary, but I really liked the woman I met and her references were awesome.

Near home.

$250 per week and I provide diapers, wipes and breastmilk

Research and look into all of your options (in-home, center, nanny share etc).  Ask everyone you know for recs.  Interview a ton of places until you find the right place. 

• Options

Washington, DC (SE)

I searched first for a center, but when waitlists made me realize I wasn't going to get in, I started my search for an in-home and nanny for a nanny share

I contacted my moms group in my neighborhood (Moms on the Hill) and the dc urban moms list for referrals. They had a list of the centers near where I live. Then for in-homes, I didn't get ANY referrals, so I went to the DC government website, got a list of all licensed in home centers in DC, mapped them on google maps and started cold calling the ones closest to me.

I cold called her from my list of all licensed in home centers in DC, and was lucky she had a spot open.

Near home, since DH has to drop off, and he works in the exact opposite direction that I work. So it needed to be convenient for both of us.

$320/week - I also provide baby's food, diapers, wipes and any other extras she may need (diaper cream, etc)

carrie ~ me-at-carrie.cc ~ 4/21/2007
    * blog * first baby blog * baby 2.0 blog * twitter *

IMG_0578

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"