Houston Babies
Options

Going back to work question.

Do you think it would be better if I started daycare maybe 1 week before I actually went back to work?  Maybe just do half days everyday - or 3 days out of that week - just to get used to leaving him?

I have heard how hard it is to leave, so I thought this would be a good way to soften the blow?  Or is it a bad idea?

Re: Going back to work question.

• Options
    A friend recommended to me going back on a Wednesday or Thursday is it would ease the transition.  I would say no to half days because it is better for the kiddo to go on into their new routine.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do half days for routine purposes but I started back to work on a Thursday which I felt made it easier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hadn't thought about a short first week for acclimation purposes.  I will file that little tidbit away for the future (assuming I ever have a job again).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Good idea. I'll have to remember this whenever I decide to go back to work. :-)
  • Options

that actually sounds like a really good idea. i went back to work full force, which i was nervous about anyway. i cried several times that day.

the few hours at a time probably won't make a difference to your ds, but it will probably help you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I want as much home time with F as possible, so I am going back the last day possible.  That being said, I only have a 4 day work week, so that makes things easier. 
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options
    That's what I did.  For the first week back, I still had maternity time, and so I had a very flexible week to get use to it all.  I worked maybe 4-5 hour days and then went home.  Fridays are already half a day.  My mom takes care of DD, and so I didn't have difficulties letting go, but I think it may be different with day care.  It took my co worker a good month to enjoy work again and not talk about quitting to stay at home.  With her second kid, she was so happy to go back to work when the time came. 
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options

I did this with Sarah.  For about a week I would drop her off for a few hours a day.  A little longer each day, so it wasn't SO bad when I went back to work. 

I still cried though!

• Options

We didn't start daycare early, but here is what we did that REALLY helped my transition.

1)  I worked from home the first two weeks (got me back into the swing of things so I didn't feel completely overwhelmed when I went back). I highly recommend this if you can do it.

2) My husband took vacation my first week back at the office. I knew my son was in the best care possible, and it got me used to being away from him for the entire day (hadn't been away from him more than a few hours at the gym prior to that), while knowing he was perfectly ok.

3) First week of daycare my husband went in early got out early and i went in late and got out a little later. That way our son was only in a childcare for like 5 hours a day.

It's hard at first, but honestly now I wouldn't have it any other way!

• Options

I started back midweek, so that the weekend was closer. That was helpful. My job was far away, though, so I was cut off. It was fine and probably easier.

In the beginning, I had my husband who works closer check in when I felt needy and report back. It was not frequent. After I developed an understanding about what DS's routine I was fine. We tried not interfere with the bonding between DS and his caregiver too much.

His infant caregiver was so good about helping us find a balance - she made us better parents by providing us wisdom and guidance. We quickly learned that she was better at baby management than we could ever hope to be. And, she was kind about it - she's seen and guided many a person through the adjustment.

She talked to my husband each morning for a few minutes about DS, and in the afternoon - she knew how to help us all build the necessary relationships. I remember that and was comforted by her support of our family.

WH still sends Lucas reports, but I haven't read them with the scrutiny of a new mom for a long time...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"