Orange County Babies
Options

7 mo only eats fruits, no veggies or cereal. help!

DD loves her pureed fruit, especially prunes.  But she makes a bitter face after eating more bland foods, such as oatmeal, rice cereal, or any veggies (including yummy veggies like sweet potatoes).  She does this cute thing where she will clamp her lips shut and shake her head when I try to give her a second spoon of the food she hates.  I know she's not full because she'll open her mouth like a little bird if she knows it's prunes. 

She'll only eat those bland foods if they are mixed with prunes or other pureed fruit.

Is it ok to just give her fruit only, until she starts table foods, or should I continue to try to feed her veggies?  For sure, I will continue to give her cereal since the pediatrician said it has nutrients that DD needs to grow healthy.

Re: 7 mo only eats fruits, no veggies or cereal. help!

• Options
    I used to mix a little veggies AND fruit in with her cereal... a little sweet potatos and just a little bit of pears, or something, just so she gets the sweetness. And I wouldnt worry... their tastes totally change from month to month. DD would never eat the cereal unless I mixed something in with it. Then we introduced her to regular instant oatmeal (when she got a little older of course) and she eats that plain, no sugar or anything... go figure :)
    Me: 35, elevated FSH 10.9, DH: 32, low morph & motility After 2 years and 29 cycles, success au natural! Rylee Jane 9/8/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #2 since March 2008 Cycle #WHO KNOWS!! April 2011 150mg Clomid + HCG + progesterone, 3 follies = BFN May 2011 150mg Clomid + none of the fancy stuff, 3 follies = BFP 6/13/11!! Beta #1 @ 4wks,1day = 95.9 Beta #2 @ 4ks,3days = 298.7, progesterone 164.9 After 3 years & 3 months another answered prayer BabyFetus Ticker <a href="http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n548/yaneverknow30/?action=view
  • Options
    Thanks, Lovesnack. Good to know that my DD isn't the only one that does this :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My sons eats everything, but you need to be creative and give her food blended to together.

Go to https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

They have great combo ideas of mixing veggies and fruits together.

For the cereal - I always mix a fruit in with it. I think that would be really blah too.

• Options

We skipped cereal entirely. It was too binding for him, so pedi said to skip it. I think its funny that she shuts her mouth for it, it'll make a cute story for her baby book, but not so much fun for mom trying to get her to eat variety. =)

• Options

I think this is just part of the whole parenting thing. My DD barely eats and I was so worried but I chalk it up to "figuring shizz out" ya know? It all balances out in the end. Maybe she will like veggies when she can feed herself?

I guess I don't really have advice but I come to you saying we are in the same boat. Just keep giving them to her so she gets used to them.

• Options

just keep trying and introducing. I forget the statistic but it takes many, many tries before they like something.  Even now, one day DD will wolf down broccili and the next day won't touch them. 

I wouldn't worry since you are still on bm/formula where the majority of nutrition is coming from.  Right now it's about practice and introduction.

• Options

oh she's only 7 months old.  It's not that bad.  Mixing is a great idea.  It's not ok to give her fruit only because as she fills up her tummy with more fruit, she is getting less BM or formula which has more iron.  You have to make sure she eats enough fortified cereal to get the iron. If she won't budge, then make sure she gets a daily dose of vitamin supplement with iron.

BTW, my son was exclusively breastfed until he turned 1. It was his choice, not mine.  You really can't force the kid to eat something unless they want to.  Mine ended up iron deficient but it was fine after months of iron supplement. And also eventually they do end up eating a little bit of everything.

GL.

• Options
    oh the statistics is 20 tries before they actually eat something new.  And my son took 1 whole year to start drinking cow's milk.  So for him it's more than 20 tries, more like 200 tries.  Yes I have a super head strong kid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"