Birth Stories
Options

If you were induced...come in!

I really didn't want to be induced. (Even though I'm SOOOOO ready to meet my little guy and to not be pregnant any more.)

Background:This is my first...and I've had an absolutely FANTASTIC pregnancy!

At 36 weeks, I was 1 cm, 30% effaced. At 38 weeks, I was between 2 and 3 cm and 50% effaced. At 39 weeks and again at 40 weeks, I was still between 2 and 3 cm and 75% effaced. I lost my MP, had a tiny bit of spotting, and have been having contractions...but not anything consistent. Sunday I had them all day, for example, and they got to 10 minutes apart...but then quit. I'm fairly petite. The baby measured 7 lbs., 2 oz. at 36 week ultrasound. (Doc told me that it could be off some, but just from looking at his bone measurements, he's a "big boy!" DH and I were both fairly big as well.) This means he is around 9 lbs., 2 oz. by now...9 lbs., 10 oz. by next week.

Today was my due date, and I had a doctor's appointment this morning. If I don't go in before, I will be induced Monday morning. I will be 41 weeks.

I was about to ask her exactly what she'd do with the induction when she told me I'd come in, the nurses would get my IV in, and then she'd come and check me and we'd go from there depending on how much (if any) progress I'd made).

I know there's still time to go into labor on my own...but I want to be as prepared as possible for the induction. TIA!

Re: If you were induced...come in!

• Options

the good news is your progressing on your own... which will be very helpful if you are induced with pitocin.  Did they mention anything about amniotic fluid levels?  Mine were high with ds and even though I was 2-3 cm & 75 effaced on admission, I didn't progress a ton until they broke my water (when I was 4cm and 90 %... then I went to 9 within an hour... he is my second baby).

good luck.... get to walking walking walking (use gravity to your advantage). ; )  

• Options
    Due to super-imposed Pre-Eclampsia, I had started an induction at 36w3d. I was 0 cm and 50% effaced. After 16 hours, I only got up to 5 cm. I ended up having an Emergency C-Section because his hb would drop drastically every time I had a contraction. Your induction should go a lot quicker since you have progressed well. Best of luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced and acutally LOVED it!  Easy labor and I was able to get my epidural before the pain was too bad.  I had my water broken when I was dialated to a 3, epidural 2 hours later when I was dialated to a 5.  GL

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
     AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options

imageCMDR513:
    Due to super-imposed Pre-Eclampsia, I had started an induction at 36w3d. I was 0 cm and 50% effaced. After 16 hours, I only got up to 5 cm. I ended up having an Emergency C-Section because his hb would drop drastically every time I had a contraction. Your induction should go a lot quicker since you have progressed well. Best of luck.

awww!  That was my first... started on Friday morning... saturday night was only 1cm but my pressure was 150/120s... I was so out of it.. they broke my water, started the epi and the mag ... 3 hrs later I was 9cm and feeling pressure to push.  It's all such a blur... the next 2 days were a blur... and when I finally got off the mag, I had my "birth moment" with dd.  pree is tough.  I was induced with ds at 38 1/2 wks b/c of labile pressures, headaches, swelling, aggitation/anxiety, spots and vision issues (but no protein in the urine).... it was such a better experience... but we're cutting our pregnancies short now.. my shop is closed.  ;) 

Good luck if you have more babies.... my second was so different... so much more energy.. I enjoyed it and the newborn period so much more!  

• Options

I was induced and everything went perfect.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

But you still have time to go on your own.  Get a pedicure...I hear its supposed to help start labor :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was induced at 39 wks. due to the baby's size vs. my size.  I'm very petite with narrow hips.  DS was estimated to weigh 7lb.9oz. and was born weighing exactly that!  I thought surely their estimate would be off....but no!  The induction was great....everything went smoothly.  However, I pushed for 2 1/2 hours and although he had started to crown he could not fit.  His heart rate was fine through all the contractions and pushing, but I spiked a high fever for some reason.  So, I was put on antibiotics, oxygen and was taken in for a C Section.  He wasn't going to come on his own....he had/has a big head!  Anyway, I was only 1cen. dilated for the last couple of weeks of my pg.  I went in for the induction at exactly 39 wks. but had already began labor on my own.  They gave me cervadil the night before the day I was to deliver but I started having hard, regular contractions, so the took the Cervadil out since they didn't want me to deliver until the next day when my Dr. would be there.  The next morning they began the pitocin, I began progressing fast, got the epidural within an hour and a half, they broke my water and I was fully dilated and pushing by noon.  All in all, it was a great experience although it ended in a c section.  I would have needed a section regardless of whether or not I was induced.  Since you've already been progressing on your own I'd say wait and see if you go into labor soon....rather than being induced.  Really it's six of one and half a dozen of another whichever route you choose.  GL! 
  • Options
    I was induced at 34/5 because of some complicatons.  I was a fingertip dilated, and had cervidil. The next day I was 1 cm, and they broke my water and gave me pit. I had Nolan in an hour and 20 min, and would do it again. No epidural either.  . it was not a horrid experience.
  • Options

imagekevinsgrl:
    I was induced and acutally LOVED it!  Easy labor and I was able to get my epidural before the pain was too bad.  I had my water broken when I was dialated to a 3, epidural 2 hours later when I was dialated to a 5.  GL

Me too.. induced due to GD, and I loved it... active labor didn't start for about 10 hours, but once it did I progressed from 5 cm to 10 in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I will probably be induced again for number 2 as well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If I had a choice I think I would've waited longer to see if I could go into labor on my own. I was 41 wks when induced; I was about 70% effaced and 1-2cm dilated. They started the pitocin on Thursday, broke my water on Friday morning and ended up with a c-section at 11:00pm after 5 hrs of pushing. I knew there was an issue when the one of the nurses shouted "omg, look at his head" and the other said "omg, he must weigh 11lbs!" :) They were a little off, he was 9lbs, 13 oz and 21' long. Because of his size and the pushing I still ended up needing some stitches vaginally as well. I also developed an infection due to the stress on my body and stayed in the hospital for a week. Not the best birth story, but I did take home a precious baby boy and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    I have not been induced but just read a book on how to avoid oxytocin or pitocin. Nipple stimulation is a way to trigger your body to release natural oxytocin that will get your labor going. Good luck! 
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was 39 weeks when I was induced for high blood pressure. I was 2 cm, 90% effaced. They gave me cervadil in the hospital the night before and I was having a good amount of contractions on my own. They started a teeny bit of pitosin by 6 am, had my water broken/epi and hour later, and was full dialated 3 1/2 hours later. I ended up having a c-section b/c he was just too big. But I thought my induction rocked. Since you've already made some progress, I bet you either go on your own, or you respond really well w/ an induction like me. Good luck!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"