Parenting

Anyone else have this baptism tradition?

I was on the phone with a friend this evening and she was telling me about her sons baptism.  She married a very Italian man.  His family was all born in Italy and they came to the States a while back.  She told me that it is an Italian tradition for the God Parents to pick out and purchase the christening outfit for the child. So, he son wore an outfit that she absolutely hated, bu couldn't do anything about it because it was the family tradition.  I was about to say there is no way I would do that, until I remembered that my DS wore a dress because it has been in DHs family for several generations.  Kinda the same thing I guess...I just had never heard of such a tradition and she made it seem like it happened all the time.  Anyone?
Christmas 2009 image

Re: Anyone else have this baptism tradition?

• Same thing in my family (Italian/Polish heritage). 
  • Yes,we do that too. And on the day of the baptism, the Godparents dress the baby. But we are Italian. LOL

However, we didn't exactly follow that. I bought G's dress myself when we were in Italy I couldn't pass it up. Then my sister gave me the $ for it, so it was like she bought it. HA ha. Then I insisted that Emi wear the same gown.  Godparents also buy a piece of jewelry for the baby to wear. I can PIP my blinged out babes if you like.

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • MH's family does, they have a dress that many of them wore.

It is yellow from age, MIL wanted us to use it for our kids.  Luckily my kids are huge and it was too small for them.  I let MIL buy my son's (a suit) and my mom bought my daughter's dress.  I liked them both or I would have bought my own. 

ETA: They aren't Italian or anything though, I don't know when it started. 

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Same thing in my family - I'm Italian too. But since I couldn't wait to pick out the dress and I found one I loved I put the kabosh on it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
  • My serbian bff had this tradition and HATED the dress. ?
  • imageREOM:

Yes,we do that too. And on the day of the baptism, the Godparents dress the baby. But we are Italian. LOL

However, we didn't exactly follow that. I bought G's dress myself when we were in Italy I couldn't pass it up. Then my sister gave me the $ for it, so it was like she bought it. HA ha. Then I insisted that Emi wear the same gown.  Godparents also buy a piece of jewelry for the baby to wear. I can PIP my blinged out babes if you like.

yes, please!!!  I love seeing pics of your girls.

Christmas 2009 image
  • You asked! You know I love showing off my girlies :)

Gina:

• Emi:

• REOM, I love your blinged out babies! ?Adorable!
  • imageDandelionMom:
    REOM, I love your blinged out babies!  Adorable!

Thanks! I just love love love them :)

• Same tradition hold true in my mother's family.  Not in "mine" because I was never baptised and nor are my boys.  If I were to do it, then the Godparents would traditionally be responsible for the gown, and a jewelry gift. 

I was going to do it for my Godson, but he ended up not being baptized...so it's just a title that I (and my ex-FI) hold to be Godparents.
  • i had my sons godmothers (my sisters) go with me to get the christening suit. they paid for it, but i was there when they picked it out.  we arent italian, but that is the tradition that we do. the godmothers buy the christening outfit.

Made from my mom's wedding gown.  And now worn by all the female grandkids.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"