August 2024 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes & Eating Disorders

I have struggled with disordered eating since I was about 13. I was in and out of treatment centers for most of my teen years. I learned from all of this that for me the best way to stay in recovery is to not diet. Ever. I learned about intuitive eating and it works for me for the most part. 
In 2021 I relapsed and ended up admitting myself to a treatment center as I was on the brink of death. Hard to do as a 34 mom of 2 but I knew I didn’t have a choice, and after 2 1/2 months in treatment, I can say it helped. 
I just received my 1 hour glucose test store (175 non fasting) and was told I need to do the 3 hour. I am suddenly panicking! 
Idk how to deal if I do end up having GD. Anyone that has struggled with an ED knows that suddenly adding back in food rules and logging numbers and getting “scores” from your meals can be so so so triggering. I’m terrified. Has anyone here had an ED and GD? How did you handle it? 
I know I may pass the 3 hour, and I know it’s what’s best for baby, but mentally I’m a mess. 

Re: Gestational Diabetes & Eating Disorders

• Options
    I just found out my result of the one hour was 162 so having to go in for the three hour test as well. My SIL just had my nephew a few weeks ago and she had to go in for the 3-hour and all turned out fine. I’m a bit panicked too but know that either way, I’ll do whatever is needed to keep baby safe. Sending hugs your way for a safe and healthy pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @lolothenailtech I'm sorry that it's drudging up past feelings.  I also failed the 1hr and just did the 3hr. I'm nervous too. Hoping we all pass our 3hr tests!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i had GD with my past pregnancy. it was diet controlled but i tried my best to not stress too much about it, i still had the occasional burger or slices of pizza, birthday cake was fine as well. as long as it’s not everyday of course! my doctor said a spike here or there was perfectly fine as long as it wasn’t everyday. i would drink propel or use sugar free water packets in case i felt like having something sweet without spiking my sugar levels. i’ve never been good with dieting, but knowing it was for my baby gave me strength to pull through. 

i really hope you do well on your 3 hour test, but even if the results come out higher just know it’s not your fault! and it doesn’t last forever, i got retested 6 weeks postpartum & everything came back normal, not even prediabetic. give yourself grace, there’s plenty of yummy foods that won’t make your numbers spike, you’ll do great 😊 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    Prayers that you pass and that you find peace and comfort in yourself! 🤍
  • Options
    hopefully you pass your 3 hour test, but if not I would discuss your history and your concerns with your OB. There are many options and I’m sure they can work with you on a plan that keeps baby healthy and safe and keeps you healthy and feeling well physically and mentally.
  • Options
    jaselizabethjaselizabeth member
    edited May 7
  • Options
    @theneno1012 @sph97 @littlebabybuster @lexilougolden @knottief205fb8799b4512d
    ty all for your encouraging words and support. I wish you all luck on your tests as well! 
    I’m trying to remain calm and remember that even if I fail it, it’s temporary (hopefully) and I can handle it for the health of this little girl. Ty all again. Deep breaths. 
  • Options
    I am an eating disorder therapist with a history of disordered eating myself (many years ago) and I have had gestational diabetes three times (miraculously I passed the one hour glucose test with this one - I was so shocked!) It is SO hard because (as you already know) restriction/dieting is so harmful. Intuitive eating can be compatible with diabetes and there are resources out there on weight-neutral and non-restrictive ways to manage it. If you are diagnosed with GDM, I would highly recommend seeking out the support of a treatment team that can help you to navigate this. I definitely noticed at least a slight increase in mental “noise” regarding food when trying to manage my blood sugar levels but was able to keep it from escalating into dangerous territory. It is helpful that it is temporary, which is something I kept reminding myself during those last few weeks. Best of luck to you, I’m hoping you pass the three hour test, but I think it is good that you are being proactive and mindful of the potential threat to your recovery.
  • Options
    @lolothenailtech yay! What a relief! My numbers were almost identical to yours!