November 2024 Moms

Exercise during pregnancy

Currently 7 + 3 and my OBGYN told me not to let my heart rate rise above 140 for more than 3 minutes. I have definitely been allowing my heart rate to rise above 140 for at least 30 minutes during my OTF workouts and now I am freaking out. Has anyone else’s doctors told them this. Do you guys focus on a specific heart rate zone? Not to mention the fact before I found out I was pregnant at 12 DPO I wasn’t paying attention to my heart rate or intensity AT ALL!

Re: Exercise during pregnancy

• If you’ve been doing it before pregnancy you can keep it up. I did OTF my entire first pregnancy and intense peloton the second and I never once watched my heart rate. That’s old advice and would be more relevant if you didn’t regularly push yourself like that! Keep it up as long as you can. 
  • Hm, I’ve never heard of the heart rate thing but I also don’t know your specific situation/health history. I happened to not workout prior to my first 3 babies and I didn’t feel like starting when I got pregnant. However, I’m pregnant with baby #4 now and I’ve been working out consistently on the elliptical 3-5 days/wk. I’m still going strong today at 4w1d despite the exhaustion of it all! I’m also overweight per my BMI so I hope to gain 20lbs or less this time around. We’ll see…

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Loading the player...
  • I want to exercise but I’m too nauseous. I don’t want to be unhealthy and a couch blob but I can’t seem to find any motivation to move. I just lye around feeling sick and thinking about how I wish I didn’t feel sick. It’s agonizing. 
  • @brielenix I haven’t heard anything about keeping your heart rate at or below a certain number. As the others have said here, the only thing I’ve heard is not to go significantly harder than what you are already doing (like if you aren’t a runner, maybe not the best time to start training for a marathon). I do kickboxing twice a week and hike or do HIIT workouts on the weekends. I plan on telling my kickboxing instructor once I’m at 12 weeks in case I need to make modifications to some of the workouts, so that might be something you would want to bring up to your instructors if/when you feel comfortable doing so. 

The HIIT workouts I sometimes do at home are free YouTube videos by Sydney Cummings Houdyshell (she’s great), and she continued doing workouts throughout her pregnancy, and even showed modifications for mothers to be, so that might be something you want to check out! 
  • lbonitolbonito member
    From what I’ve been reading the heart rate is old advice. I was a little worried about my OTF workouts since I’ve been enjoying pushing myself on the treadmill before I got pregnant, but I’ve been so nauseous and tired I haven’t made it to the gym the past month :/ just tackled a few walks and semi-strenuous hikes. Can’t wait for the first tri to be over!
  • @dead82head I felt that way during my first 3 pregnancies. I didn’t even feel like walking around the block! Good news is the feeling let up in my 2nd tri and I was able to get back into a semi-regular (albeit MUCH lower-intensity) workout regime. For now, just give your body what it’s asking for: REST! 

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• First time mom here! I’ve been doing OTF prior to being pregnant and now my entire first trimester so far and I’ve just been listening to my body. Push it some days when I feel good and pull back when I can’t. I would listen to your body and not focus so much on the heart rate zone. You know your body best!