Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

11 month old not imitating

Hello! 

I come here because I am starting to worry a lot, I have a wonderful baby boy, but I am starting to worry he might have some developmental delay because he doesn't imitate absolutely anything, he doesn't wave hello or bye bye, he doesn't sign any of the signs we have been using with him from the beginning (pretty much the ones miss rachel uses, we learn our gestures from here like milk, more, etc...), he doesn't imitate face expressions, he doesn't imitate sounds... Other than that, he is a happy boy, he smiles a lot, any kind of exaggerated movement or sound will make him laugh, he sleeps through the night, he eats everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, he has never refused any foods, solids, purees, any kind of texture or flavor, he eats it all. He says "mamamama" or "papapapa", and other sounds like that, but they don't seem targeted, he will make them randomly while he plays. He asks to be picked up by lifting his arms towards us... 

I just keep seeing everywhere he should have been imitating certain gestures like waving since he was 8 or 9 months old and he doesn't seem to make any progress with it. 

Is this normal? Am I worrying for no reason? 

Re: 11 month old not imitating

• Options
    Hi, i know this is an older post, but I want to give some reassurance that gesturing and imitating has a wide range of when they are able to do it. My 9.5 month old doesnt always imitate or point yet, but our pediatrician told me not to worry about it yet at her 9 month checkup. Some babies definitely can start doing these things on the earlier end and some do it later - and it can all be normal. Keep practicing with them and talk to your pediatrician if you still have concerns :)